What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem Moving Image to New Page

Nana

I've come upon a problem with moving images over to a new page and have spent the past 2 weeks trying to figure out why this is happening. I never had this issue before. Now, every time I move an image over from the original scanned image to a new page, it appears on the new page ultra-enlarged and I've had to use the "free-transform" tool to bring it down to size. By doing this, the final image is now taking on a distorted look, even though I'm transforming using the shift key to keep the sizing proportionate to the page I'm working on. I know it's probably something simple and stupid but so far I haven't fallen into the cure on purpose or by sheer accident. Can anyone help?

Nana

MrToM

Guru
You'll need to be a little more descriptive about what your workflow is.....and if possible using PS terminology.

Eg. PS doesn't use 'pages' so...???
How are you moving these 'images'....and what do you call an 'image'...???

I think I know what you mean but I'd rather not guess....its better if you clarify just what you are doing, how, and with what.

Use screen-shots if you need to....they are often more informative than words.

Regards.
MrTom.

Nana

OK, Tom. Sorry about the use of non-PS verbage. This should prove just what a newbie I still am. . And, if I can figure out how to attach a photo of my work, I'll do that.

To wit, I am using PS while doing volunteer work for a botanical garden. I usually work with pen and ink drawings of orchids that show the parts and pieces of an orchid bloom. Once I scan the original drawing, I then move the entire image to a new plate, where I then separate out each blossom part and place them in a more asthetically pleasing position. I've been able to do this without any problems for the past year. Now, for some reason, the moving of the images (drawings) from the original to the new plate is causing the aforementioned issues.

Nana

image.jpg

MrToM

Guru
...OK, Tom. Sorry about the use of non-PS verbage...

No worries....and no need for apologies....except for getting my forum name wrong. :)

Case in point though.....
...I then move the entire image to a new plate...
Move?
Plate?

Where are you 'moving' from exactly?....and what's a plate?
Do you mean document?

...Now, for some reason, the moving of the images (drawings) from the original to the new plate is causing the aforementioned issues...
Errr....original what?

I'm sure we'll get there in the end but for now I'm sorry to say you've lost me again. LOL.

Regards.
MrTom.

Nana

Forgive me, MrTom. Guess I am so rattled by this PS problem that I am forgetting my manners.
Yes, I guess my new "page" would translate into new "document" for you. What I do for my boss is to scan original pen and ink drawings of orchid blossoms. For the sake of using these illustrations in annual botany publications, I create a new "document" by lassoing the entire original document and bringing it over to the new blank document where I then move the individual pieces of the bloom around to fit the publication's requirements. Lately, when lassoing the images (drawing parts) and "moving" them over to the new document, they are not appearing in the new document in the same proportion as the original document I'm moving them from. In other words, they are appearing in the new document thousands of times bigger than they should be and using the transform tool to bring them down to size is distorting them. Any ideas now?

BTW, did the attachment show up in my last reply?

Nana

MrToM

Guru
No worries Nana....we'll get there.

I think I have an idea of your workflow so can you follow this for me.....

1. Have your original 'Scanned' image open in PS.
2. Use menu item: IMAGE > Image Size...
3. You should get something like this...

image_size_A_01.png

4. Take note of the 'Resolution' value.
5. Now do the same for the 'New' document......the one you are moving your images TO.

Do you get the same value?

Regards.
MrTom.

Nana

Well, I'll give that a try on Monday. I only do this volunteer work two days a week, Mondays and Fridays. So, I'll test this out on Monday. Meanwhile, I'll take a look and see if Amazon carries a book called PhotoShop for Dummies and buy a copy. I may need it in the near future.

Nana

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Nana -

Welcome to PSG!

Don't worry -- sometimes it takes a while to get to the bottom of a problem, but we've got plenty of very knowledgeable folks here (certainly including MrTom) and 99.9% of the time, we'll figure out the source of the problem and get you on your way. However, be advised that almost always we have ask quite a few questions to get all the info we need to accurately diagnose a problem.

With respect to terminology, using the exact term does help tremendously because often there are similar sounding terms with different meanings, but don't fret about it too much -- you'll pick up the terminology as you become more experienced. BTW, FYI, another term that is almost a synonym for "document" is "canvas" (...at least, in Photoshop). Of course, just to make life difficult, Adobe decided to call essentially the analogous concept in Adobe Illustrator, "Art Board", LOL.

With respect to the probable source of your problem, MrT (that's the short version of his screen name that I use because his real name isn't actually "Tom") is almost certainly on the right track. That being said, let me mention that some time ago, I helped someone with a similar problem. What made me think of it was your statement, "I never had this problem before". In their case, thinking that they were helping matters, someone changed the resolution setting on their scanner so that after the change, it was putting out vast larger (in pixel dimensions) files than it had been. So, when she cut and pasted files produced after the settings were changed, the result was exactly what you are seeing. Your problem could be caused by many other things, and this is somewhat of a long shot, but do check that no one has mucked around with your scanner when you weren't looking.

Best regards,

Tom M

Nana

Hi, Tom and thank you for stepping in, too! Since I haven't had this issue for almost 18 months now, I am assuming it is something simple like one of the settings having been changed and I just haven't put my finger on which setting that might be yet. I'll be testing out MrTom's suggestion on Monday and also will take a look at the scanner settings while I'm at it. This is a "shared" computer that I use at the gardens so I always have to check the settings every time I'm there and make sure they are back where I need them to be. I'm also wondering if I may have triggered something when I cleaned the keyboard a few weeks ago. I had the keyboard unplugged while cleaning it out with a small artist brush. Can't stand touching something that is loaded with dust and grime. There ARE those of us who keep our keyboards covered when not in use overnight but I have no control over this using a shared one. :lol:

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated and I will give the scanned a closer look on Monday.

Nana

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Nana, Tom M here again ...

Rather than poking around all the menu screens on the software that controls the scanner, a very easy way to check if the scanner resolution setting has changed is to simply compare the pixel dimensions of a recent, problematic scan with the pixel dimensions of an old scan that didn't give you this problem. If the more recent scan is a lot bigger, we got lucky and nailed the problem immediately, if not, at least we learned that that this isn't the problem, and we go back to a more systematic approach.

Have a nice weekend,

Tom M

Nana

Hi Nana, Tom M here again ...

Rather than poking around all the menu screens on the software that controls the scanner, a very easy way to check if the scanner resolution setting has changed is to simply compare the pixel dimensions of a recent, problematic scan with the pixel dimensions of an old scan that didn't give you this problem. If the more recent scan is a lot bigger, we got lucky and nailed the problem immediately, if not, at least we learned that that this isn't the problem, and we go back to a more systematic approach.

Have a nice weekend,

Tom M

To Tom M and MrTom,
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!! Total success!! Once I looked at my previous work and compared notes on what numbers showed up in the "image size", I was shocked at the numbers that showed up for the current documents. When I brought those docs down to size, everything worked perfectly! I love you guys! You are my heroes! Seriously, thank you so much. I truly appreciate the help. :lol:

Nana

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Good to hear you got it sorted, thanks for letting us know.

Regards.
MrTom.