What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue border after crop?

noir365

Hi, starting to try to learn photoshop on my own.
It's the little details that are confusing me.

I just cropped this image (I believe a destructive crop) and there remains this blue border plus little symbols on the upper left hand corner.

What are these and how do I get rid of them?

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 8.09.44 PM.png

Thanks for your help.

From the menu bar use:

VIEW > SHOW > SLICES

Turn that off and the border and symbols will go.

The blue border you see is defining a 'slice' of the image.
The term 'slice' is a little misleading as you actually define an 'area' rather than a slice but thats Adobe terminology for you.

In your example you only have 1 'slice' so the border encompasses the whole image but if you were to make another 'slice' then you'd see that you'd be dividing the image up into defined 'areas'.

The purpose of 'slicing' is mainly used for web-page design where you have certain 'areas' of a web page....head, body, foot...etc and makes it easy to divide one large image into several smaller images for use in the CSS styling of a web page.
Thats not the only use of course but thats its main reason for being there.

Slicing an image then allows you to save each 'area' out as its own image file whilst still keeping the main image intact....this is all done in one process and to a single folder.

I'm not sure how you got to having 'slices' being displayed after 'cropping' as the two are totally separate tools but whatever, now you know what it is and how to hide it.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:
Thanks MrTom, that was very helpful and comprehensive.

After I cropped the image and saw the blue border, I got frustrated and messed around with other tools to try and make it go away.
That's how I ended up on the slice tool after the fact.

Back