What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Selection Tool

sbr

Hi, I was using the quick selection tool to wrap the marching ants around a building to swap the background, but as I worked the ants around the building they would scatter everywhere into every nook and sometimes jump an inch or so either in our out. I really could not control them. Can someone let me know what I was doing wrong? On the tutorial video I was following they seems to follow the contour of the subject pretty good so it seem I was doing something very wrong.
Some info, I and using Photoshop CC, the file was a jpeg of good quality, mouse was a regular desk cordless mouse and a high quality photo monitor. Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't say you were doing anything wrong exactly, you just need to learn how to use the tool properly.

You'll find lots of videos on YouTube on how to use the 'Quick Select' tool.

Video's by BlueLighteningTV or Phlearn are particularly good.

Regards.
MrTom.

It takes a bit of experimenting with the tolerance, , anti-alias and other settings to get a feel for what the tool does. If your building has blue skies around it and the tool does what your describing , it's probably because the intensity setting is too low thus the tool is selecting scattered shades within the range of the setting throughout the blue in the sky.

The authors of that tutorial had played/experimented/rehearsed with the image prior to creating the recording. Or could have edited out snags when making selections. Which is why it looks "so easy". The problem is, sometimes they miss out important details like settings on even the most common tools used in the tutorial.

Don't rely too much on it either. The best way to create a selection is with the pen tool. Or at times using the brushes with a hard setting and in mask mode.

I will add to check your tolerances I leave auto enhance un checked. Also contrast plays a role here, more contrast makes it easier for the tool to find edges. Brush size does make a difference , so play a bit. Finally...look for refine edge... it will help you selecting things, and can output directly to a new layer, with a mask.

Yep pen tool will make things better, but some of us still hate it !.....

Back