What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kelby One Videos vs free Youtube Videos?

sbr

Hi, I have been sifting thru lots of YouTube tutorial videoslearning PS and LR and have learned a great deal, however on many videos the instructortalk and move the mouse so fast it’s hard to keep up and follow. With LR it wasnot much of an issue, I was able to pick most of it up since it a little bitsimpler. But now that I am diving into PS its becoming a bit harder to followalong.

My questions is are any of the pay website videos betterthan the free YouTube ones? I was thinking of trying Kelbyone and was wonderingwhat the difference was between the Kelbyone videos and the free videos on YouTube? Thanks!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I'd say it's a matter of customer / viewer support. Because they're paid, subscription sites maintain customer service and forum sections for subscribers in need of clarification. KelbyOne, Lynda.com - these are excellent sites.

A lot of the video creators at YT don't have that. I sometimes see a lot of unanswered queries by viewers.

I'm not saying YT isn't the best place to go. There are a lot of excellent tutorials there. But if it so happens you viewed one created by a copycat wanna be or a so-so PS tutor, be prepared for what is to come.

MikeMc

McGuru
With Scott....you will learn Photoshop....his way.

That's not a bad way to learn PS, his techniques and work flow do go together .....I have some of his books

cyberwasp

Youtube videos are great as long as you go with established authors. Most will answer your questions. like Phlearn, who also have there own web site at phlearn.com. There they have hundreds of free tutorials along with paid, more in depth ones. I myself like/don't like kelbyone. They took over NAPP which was an excellent site for tutorials and help. Napp had the best forum going for Photoshop help on any subject. They also had 3 to4 weekly how to videos.

I've been on kelbyone since they swallowed napp and went through all of there photoshop tutorials in a month. I haven't found a new one since, Unless you count old repeats from the napp site. Oh BTW: No forum on kelbyone or anywhere to ask for help other than site/subscription problems. In my opinion, the only good thing for photoshop users from kelbyone is the Magazine.

Paul

Former Member
Trouble with YT videos is that most are made by amateurs masquerading as pros, usually passing off another's work without giving the original creator the credit they deserve.
Go with a recognised PS user for a solid knowledge base and a platform to work from, use YT videos for ideas and some quick edit tips maybe.
All in all have fun.

TonyCooper

I don't have a strong opinion either way about your question, but I will offer a suggestion
that will make following any video tutorial much easier: add a second monitor.

A second monitor doesn't have to be either large or expensive. I bought a used one from
a computer store for $45/

Put the tutorial up on the second monitor, and do the project on your prime monitor. Pause
the tutorial until you complete each step. Instead of switching back-and-forth between PS
and a tutorial video, you'll be following along in real time.

You'll find other uses for the second monitor, too.

When I read this forum, it's up on my second monitor and PS is open on my primary
monitor. When one of the Gurus posts a trick or a tip, I try it as a read about it. It's
like having an open book in front of me.

Last edited: