What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warm Light Glow Effect

keunai

I just wanted to ask if anyone had an idea of how to do this specific effect.

I messed with some warming light and some saturation as well as contrast and got it pretty close but I felt like there is still something missing.. It could certainly be the darkness of that image contrasting with the brightness that seems to have been given on the wolf in the photo, but I figured I would ask for a second opinion.

Capture.PNG Example image

Thanks for any assistance.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do you have the original image of this Wolf or the image that your working with?

keunai

As usual the people asking me to do this only had this image, and I've taken quite a bit of time searching for the original to see what sorts of lighting it had in the beginning.

I do have the image I am working with however, and it would be right here.

Wolf_Muen1211-Ima-17.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks! I would love to see your attempt at the effect if that's not a problem.

There could be any number of techniques used here, I will see what I can come up with.

keunai

Of course and thank you for the assistance. I will go ahead and post my edited version of this photo, but yeah.. There are a ton of possibilities for this.

TEST.png

That is literally a two minute edit with curves and saturation edits... I need to switch locations so I'll be able to reply shortly.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks, that looks good. Let me see what I can come up with.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Edit: The very first thing I did was color correct the image.

This is fast and can still use some tweaking, but it's just adjustment layers and their masks, curves, photo filter, and color fill.
I added a new layer for some shading.

This is a screen shot.
Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 2.47.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 2.47.37 PM.png

Last edited:

keunai

Absolutely beautiful, thank you for the assistance with that.. It's pretty much the exact effect I was going for, and I knew the background would need to be darkened I simply had to change location.

If it's not too much trouble, is there anyway I could have the file that you created with those layers simply so that I can see it more clearly, that is if it's possible.

Regardless, thank you.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks. I added another color fill layer to enhance the glow.

Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 4.20.42 PM.png

Since you have mentioned that this was a project for another person, I'm a bit apprehensive to offer up the PSD file. I do want to encourage and help you to accomplish this effect on your own.
I will certainly answer any question(s) you might have on the process I used.

As stated, the first thing I did was to color correct from this.........
Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 4.25.02 PM.png

To this.......
Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 4.25.18 PM.png

Then I added a curves adjustment layer to darken the BG.

Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 4.27.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 4.27.24 PM.png

keunai

You're most certainly welcome, compliments where they are due... I completely understand your hesitation and actually the only reason I was requesting a PSD was because I was just going to have a peak at how you managed to accomplish it.. Unfortunately the computer I am stuck on at the moment is quite limited and doesn't have the resources for any major alteration to files without seriously causing a drain on system resources.

But, I can assure you that I wasn't going to just pull the effects, claim them as my own, and market them... To be completely honest I've had that happen plenty of times, and I certainly wouldn't want to take such an event and place it on another person.

Either way those steps should be quite useful, and I thank you once again for all the assistance and insight you've provided.. It's nice to have a fresh perspective.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not a problem!

I then added a warming photo filter and set the density to 90.

The color fill layers are the most important. Notice in the layers panel image I posted that I reversed the masks in the color fill layers and used the Brush Tool with a 75% soft/hard brush set to an opacity of 70% and a fill to 1%.
I worked on the wolf only since I had the BG about where I wanted it.

Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 4.39.59 PM.png

Last edited:

keunai

What exactly did you do with the brush, and also did you use 'saturation' as the blending mode for both of the lighting effects?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What exactly did you do with the brush
I just used it on the layer masks of the adjustment layers, either to reveal or conceal the effect caused by the adjustment.

keunai said:
, and also did you use 'saturation' as the blending mode for both of the lighting effects?
No, I only used it on the first color fill layer...........good catch!

keunai

I just used it on the layer masks of the adjustment layers, either to reveal or conceal the effect caused by the adjustment.

No, I only used it on the first color fill layer...........good catch!

Haha thank you, and yeah I figured I should get an idea of how you handled that blending.. Also that is what I figured you used the brush for, but I figured I should double check.

keunai

This may seem like a stupid question, but exactly how did you make those selections? I've been away from Photoshop for quite some time unfortunately.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What selections? Do you mean the choices of adjustment layers?

keunai

My apologies I meant the actual masks and the selection that seems to be actually there... I messed around with it and it seems that you used one of the channels, probably RGB?

Also I've noticed that the saturation blending mode seems to cause an almost... glitchy look, though I'm sure that's due to something that I've overlooked. It seems that it causes a 'negative' effect in a way.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's a lot to be said for experience. But as long as you have a reference to act as a goal, it's mostly trial and error.

No use of channels at all.

Yes, the curves adjustment layer causes some odd negative effect but this will be gone with the addition of the other layers. The effect was not there when I added the curves layer, it appeared later after I made adjustments to the rest of the layers. I only saw them later when I had turned off some of the other layers.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry but I have to log off now. If you have any more questions please post them and I will answer them in the am.

keunai

Alright, because I was messing around with the masks and found that the negativity only seemed to grow worse after making adjustments to the masks... Also that's fine, have a good night and thank you for the assistance up til this point.