What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insignia help!

Snikky

Hello! As a fellow gamer, my guild [MysticDragonis] wanted a new insignia for us. As my game states you have to have a 32x32px BMP file. A lot of the other guilds have very nice and clearly illustrated insignias. (basically icons)

I have creasted mine, but it comes out pixelated and the transparency isn't working correctly. I looked it up, it was (ff00ff) for it. But there's a thin outline covering the border of my insignia.

Here's a picture :)

ba6f17852fc7f03dbd0fdb8ab88aab82.jpg

You see, original was suposed to have a light blue outline,and grey colored in for the center.

I've tried so much to get it to work, so I'm looking for help in the area of the better experienced :) thanks!

Although BMP files do support transparency its only an on / off deal.

This means that if you have any partially transparent pixels they will be replaced by what is known as the 'matte' colour.

As you have stated, the 'matte' colour you have in that BMP file is set to FF00FF, or Magenta.
This was also called 'Super Pink' many moons ago and was generally used for transparency as it seemed the least likely colour to be in an image.

With the advancement of superior file formats such as PNG which do support partial transparency the BMP file format is pretty much dead in that respect.

BMP files are also only 16bit too, limiting the amount of colour you can have in an image.
They normally work on a 565 ratio, that is to say, the first 5 bits denote red, the next 6 bits denote green and the last 5 bits denote blue.
There are other combinations but as our eyes are more receptive to green it gets the bigger slice of the pie.

Sooooooo....what does that mean for you?

Well, you have three choices...
1. Convert all partial transparency to either 100% transparent or 100% opaque.
2. Limit the use of the BMP to ONE background colour and set the 'matte' colour to the same...this gives a 'faux' partial transparent 'look'.
3. Use a different file format.

Regards.
MrTom.

Well, here is a screenshot showing the options I had.

817ac421008fe5f17d3af15b0e5c3ed9.jpg

I can send over the file for the insignia, and possibly you can help me through it? I'm looking to learn, not nessasarily find someone who can do it for me :)

Hello again :D my apologies for a late reply back.

I wanted to show you the insignia information page that gave me the details to the set up for my insignia.

945144954f4fb13808a2ed7cd3319080.jpg

As well as the original concept ideas for it.

185af600c1d7644fca56e4140bb7753d.jpg

this is what I'm trying to create more or less, possibly a thicker outline of blue.

642e4616fc817f3c9a9620381e0b1843.jpg

This is what were currently using. Its a girl with her hands over her moth, with a hat that has MD (MysticDragonis) labeled on it. Is there a way I can enhance it as well? I would like them to look nest and clean such as these examples from a few other guilds.

db8569293c9c421107f25147d99fce35.jpg[Macaron]

1a194d7db327d66724c118b1a3dd175e.jpg[Sacred]

My main problem is the magenta outline and the fact that mine looks pixelated and..sloppy. Thanks again,

-Skae and MD

OK it seems to be working. Sorry about the double posting.

- this is the wiki-site to the insignia making.

6abb724dc782fb8c12d520e33172215c.jpg

I'm trying to make it look like this; with a thicker outline of blue possibly. Its supposed to be a dragons head.

ec542c2930e31f0111d370fefbeb94b1.jpg

Testing on posting..it never shows up my message..

The forum seems a bit screwy at the moment....I'm getting notifications of posts from way back, yours being one of them!

For instance your 'Testing on posting..it never shows up my message..' post was the last one to appear on the 'Whats New' page of the forum......now there are two more posts BEFORE that!

Your posts didn't show here before but they are they are now......I dunno whats going on......hopefully those that can sort it will do so soon.

So, sorry for not replying sooner but there literally wasn't a post to reply to.....until now! LOL.

So..... to your question......

Thanks for the info....that changes things a little.
Your example logo isn't 32x32px so before we go any further you need to nail down your logo to fit in a 32x32px image size.

Make sure that any colours you use are 'web safe' and that transparency, partial or otherwise, is not flattened to a background layer......in other words you need to be able to 'see through it' in the PSD file.

Post your finished logo here and I'll go through with you how to save that out as a BMP file that meets the specifications.

Hopefully the site will be working properly by then.

Regards.
MrTom.

Ahhhh LOL I see the responses now. I am so sorry about that xD
I thought I had them as a 32x32..I'll definately check again.

Editing for better sake ;)
It wouldn't let me save as a PSD..but it had BMP as one, so I did that. I also got this, I usually just click ok. Clicking on advanced shows the file..types. Its got Rx-x1 and such. I click on the 24 bit one because..its 24 on the other side :)

92b55b21560a0a79a10cf6459033b392.jpg

Just another edit [emoji14]
This is it blown up at 1600%.

8b2ec2e925390c8c7a280d72c5094641.jpg

Last edited:
For future reference...
Notifications do not apply to post edits.

If you are answering a post then its best to reply with a post, not just edit your last one....nobody will know...as in this case....I see you edited your post Friday but, who was to know?

Regards.
MrTom.

No worries....

If you want me to go through this I'll need you to post the image.....the PSD file.

Use the Image Upload icon and select your psd file......I'll take the risk there is nothing nasty attached to it.

Once I have that I can try here first to make sure it works and then take you through it.

Regards.
MrTom.

Thanks. My computer is clean so I hopefully can reasure you there is nothing 'nasty' on there, nothing but a messed up insignia --joking around-- he he I'll be home in about 30 minutes and I'll get that to you. Thanks again

No worries at all......I'll be here.

Regards.
MrTom.

Haha. Finally it let me log in. My apologies for being late in sending in this file. I realized its all in one layer.. I don't know why?
I did image upload.. im not sure if it put it in here... o_O

Attachments

• TestingInsignia2.psd
    22.7 KB · Views: 2
Its a PSD and of that insignia. Did I mess something up?
Well, the PSD you posted doesn't have any transparency.

I thought the whole point of your question was how to save out the image preserving the transparency....

Snikky said:
...and the transparency isn't working correctly...

...your image doesn't have any transparency.

You've posted the image with a 'white' background in both posts #4 and #6 so I assume you do have the image on its own....without ANY background.....yes?

Thats what I, (and ultimately yourself), need to work on.......32x32px and JUST the 'insignia' on its own layer......no background (Unless thats on its own layer too).

Post that, and we're in business. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrTom.

Ok. I will do that..I don't know why it's not in its own layer. I'll fix that when i get off work this afternoon :)

No worries...

If the 'insignia' isn't 32x32 don't worry about it.....its the transparency thats important !!!!

We can always save out to 32x32 when we're done.

Regards.
MrTom.

Back