What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with getting a graphic to conform to an odd shape

Ok second attempt came out better I think, I still made a couple of small boo boos but I think they can be corrected on another layer? Here are two versions, one over the template, the other over the actual body I took the photo of.BlankRG4.jpg BlankRG5.jpg

Looks good to me.

An advantage of using a random pattern like this is that the stretching and distorting doesn't really show.....its the kind of random pattern that lends itself well to some abuse.

A recognisable image like a skull or head just couldn't be manipulated in the same brutal manner.

This just looks like its cut out from a much larger image......which is a good thing. :thumbsup:

Just my 2¢

Regards.
MrTom.

Thanks. Next question, the part of the image I just altered with the warp tool. How to I extend the edge of the image out by some extra pixels so I can cut some off after it prints in real life? Or did I need to do that with the original tool?

...How to I extend the edge of the image out by some extra pixels so I can cut some off after it prints in real life?...
You mean for the bleed?

Yeah, use the same process, pin the edges and then drag it out just a few pixels for the bleed.

You can always pull the image back inward if it goes too far.......but being on the edge you have plenty of room for lots of pins so you should be ok.

Was that what you meant?

(I don't know which part you just altered......I can't see that far)

Regards.
MrTom.

I think you nailed it!

Nice one. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrTom.

Thanks for the hints guys, I have learned alot about photoshop over the last 2 days. Next big question is how can I size this to actual guitar size and hopefully print out some practice sheets with my inkjet to make sure all the spacing is correct before I have the graphic made.

One of our Mods is good at this most especially on how to retain quality..... @ALB68 . Larry, this is up your alley....

What is your present document size? Based on your last upload image, you may have to increase your image size to twice its size (I'm imagineering here... lol. based on Ibanez size.) Flatten and Save this to a new file. Then do a test print. Increase or decrease in increments via printer setting where needed. Do the test in black and white print to save on ink.....

I must say.... that's gonna be a hot, rocking ax..... If only there was such a thing as glow in the dark ink for desktop printers.....

Sorry for being inquisitive.... once a guitarist always a guitarist.... are you using sealed, EMG-ish pickups?

What you guys did there was a dandy exercise but I would have reversed the process. I would have printed the graphic large enough to fit the template in the flat. Then either print it on a print and cut machine (Roland etc) that would deliver the printed shape cut out and ready to apply or cut the shape out in the print with the laser or a plotter. You would need a vector outline of the template in addition to the print being large enough and of good 300ppi quality.

One of our Mods is good at this most especially on how to retain quality..... @ALB68 . Larry, this is up your alley....

What is your present document size? Based on your last upload image, you may have to increase your image size to twice its size (I'm imagineering here... lol. based on Ibanez size.) Flatten and Save this to a new file. Then do a test print. Increase or decrease in increments via printer setting where needed. Do the test in black and white print to save on ink.....

I must say.... that's gonna be a hot, rocking ax..... If only there was such a thing as glow in the dark ink for desktop printers.....

Sorry for being inquisitive.... once a guitarist always a guitarist.... are you using sealed, EMG-ish pickups?

Well my idea is to actually embed leds under the graphic in certain areas to make it glow and maybe even pulsate if I can design it correctly. I won't be using EMGs on this one. Probably do some purple or pink dimarzios or some variation there of.

The image that is in the psd file is actually larger than the real guitar, at least as far as I know. The images I loaded I had converted to jpeg and reduced the size down to 25%

What you guys did there was a dandy exercise but I would have reversed the process. I would have printed the graphic large enough to fit the template in the flat. Then either print it on a print and cut machine (Roland etc) that would deliver the printed shape cut out and ready to apply or cut the shape out in the print with the laser or a plotter. You would need a vector outline of the template in addition to the print being large enough and of good 300ppi quality.

I think I understand what you are saying but that would not have given me the effect I wanted, at least I don't think it would. There would have been many lightning bolts going over the edge of the guitar and therefore the purple ends would have been cutoff. But I may very well be misunderstanding what you wrote.

Well my idea is to actually embed leds under the graphic in certain areas to make it glow and maybe even pulsate if I can design it correctly. I won't be using EMGs on this one. Probably do some purple or pink dimarzios or some variation there of.

The image that is in the psd file is actually larger than the real guitar, at least as far as I know. The images I loaded I had converted to jpeg and reduced the size down to 25%

I like that..... D Activator or X2N. I use the old X2Ns. Even on my Stein.... tho alot of my old guitarist friends berate me for doing that... lol.

It looks like you're headed to a great design build on this one. Wishing you many happy gigs with the new look......

This turned out great guys, sorry I missed out on this one.

This turned out great guys, sorry I missed out on this one.
Thanks! You can still help with the final part :) I seem to have it scaled correctly on the screen now. So how do I print it to my home inkjet on regular paper for test fit purposes. I know it will take a few sheets, but is there some sort of print option where it knows where to split the image?

Oh great.... It's been ages since I've done something like this and I don't quite remember or find what or where it was.... It's not in my Epson printer controls, either.

But it's supposed to be in your printer settings ..... FIT TO - (select number of pages).... or something to that effect....

Hang on... someone here might have that option or remember what it is to select in the controls.....

What printer model are you using?

It's a tiling option , actually..... which I haven't or don't remember seeing in new printers, nowadays.

I do remember a third party software that splits a large image into pieces, saves them in pdf which can be printed and assembled like a jigsaw puzzle.... http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

I used this a couple of times last year and it does a good job....

Last edited:

Back