What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to ungrey "Define Pattern"?

MTLPhotoshop

Hello! I'm brand new to Photoshop and am currently taking my first photoshop class. I have version CC 2014 installed on my mac. I'm trying to create a pattern and I have my shape with a rectangular marquee around it. The feather is set to 0 pixels. I go to Edit > Define Pattern but "Define Pattern" is greyed out. Any ideas how to ungrey it?

Last edited:

colleague

Guru
is it a shape-layer ?
right-click on the layer and convert into pixels
and then define pattern

MTLPhotoshop

No, it's just a regular layer. I added a shape (the maple leaf) from the custom shape tool to practice creating a pattern.

colleague

Guru
hawkeye I can make a pattern if there is a selection with feather = 0 (with CS5)

Attachments

• pattern with selection.png
    pattern with selection.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 2

MTLPhotoshop

I started over with a new blank document and for some reason this time the "Define Pattern" was ungreyed! I have no idea why but now it works! Thanks so much for you help!