What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stroke manually (no blending options), its possible?

brunurgniani

Hello, i want to do my logo. So a need to creat a STROKE on the letter "B"
But i dont wnat to use a blend option, because when i increase the size of the font, the stroke desregulate.

So i have a B:
d1.png

And i want a stroke, like this:
d2.png

But hwith no bland options.
I tryed to duplicate the font, send to back, and increase the size, buts its fail:
d3.png

Its possivbe to increase the size of font in all of sides (swell it), to do a "stroke"?

PS.: i wnat do a vector to may logo

MrToM

Guru
Could you please clarify exactly what the problem is?

Its a little fuzzy in places.......from 'Hello' onwards if I'm honest.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Create a new layer below the B type layer and highlight/select the layer.

Command/Control + Click the B type layers thumbnail. This will create a selection of the letter B.

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 10.07.04 PM.png

Go to SELECT > MODIFY > EXPAND enter a pixel amount and hit OK.

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 10.07.40 PM.png

Fill the newly expanded selection with black.

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 10.08.11 PM.png

Now you have your stroke on a new layer.

Another way is to use a layer style to create the stroke.

Then right click on any of the B type layers effect icons...

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 10.14.37 PM copy.png

And select create layer from the drop down menu.
This will separate the stoke from the layer style and place it on it's own layer.

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 10.14.20 PM.png

Tom Mann

Guru
@OP - Going back to your original post, like MrTom, I still can't figure out what u meant when u said, "...when u change the font size, the stroke 'disregulates' ...". What does this mean?

Thanks,

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@OP - Going back to your original post, like MrTom, I still can't figure out what u meant when u said, "...when u change the font size, the stroke 'disregulates' ...". What does this mean?

Thanks,

Tom M

brunurgniani said:
But i dont wnat to use a blend option, because when i increase the size of the font, the stroke desregulate.

I think that when he says, blend option, this is his reference to a layer style. Because it's what comes up when you right click a layer and select blending options. I mention this for HIS sake so that he can begin to use the correct terminology.

Blending options is one function of a Layer Style.
Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 10.31.52 AM copy.png

I completely agree with MrTom and Tom Mann in that I do not understand what you mean by the stroke used in a Layer Style will "desregulate".

No matter how you choose to increase the size of the text (font), the stroke will remain the same.

Tom Mann

Guru
For what it's worth, I had three thoughts about what the OP might have meant when he used the word, "disregulate":

1. My first guess was that he wanted the size of the stroke to be proportional to the size of the font, but instead, the stroke size setting is in pixels, not percent. In fact, of all the adjustments in the "Layer Style" panel, only choke and spread are in percent, all the other adjustments are always in pixels.

2. My second guess was that he may have meant, "can't make adjustments and other changes to the stroke, other than the somewhat limited set Adobe provides, and he has other things in mind that he would like to do to the stroke". (Note: Sam's suggestion to put it on a separate layer nicely answers this.)

3. Maybe he simply didn't realize that there were quite a few adjustments that could be made, ie, "disregulate" = un-changeable?

Anyway, I do hope the OP returns and clears this up.

Cheers,

Tom

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I think what the OP wants is a means to add the stroke without using the Layer Style options because of the rounded corners it produces.

And he wants the stroke to transform in proportion with the text. With the Layer Style, you have to do adjustments to compensate the text resize. (Disregulate)

IamSam's expand selection will work but the rounded corners......

And he wants to do it as a crisp vector...... Illustrator is the best bet.

This ain't no Corel Draw forum but it does all that he asks for.......

Ohhhhhh mann...... :cheesygrin: .... I didn't notice he said it already ^ ...... :rofl:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
dv8 said:
With the Layer Style, you have to do adjustments to compensate the text resize. (Disregulate)

Please explain. Using a stroke layer style, the stroke will remain the same when you alter the text size.

If you use the character panel or the free transform...............the stroke remains intact.

EDIT: Nevermind........I see what your referring to dv8. You would have to adjust the stroke width if you change the text size.

What I was stating was that the stroke width remains the same (10px) but when the text is altered, the stroke does not remain proportionate!

Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 3.47.43 PM.png

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Please explain. Using a stroke layer style, the stroke will remain the same when you alter the text size.

If you use the character panel or the free transform...............the stroke remains intact and proportionate.

EDIT: Nevermind........I see what your referring to dv8. You would have to adjust the stroke width if you change the text size.

lol..... Good thing I refreshed the page as I was about to post the same proof....

No biggie , Sam. :thumbsup:

I've been trying to figure out how to get angular rather than curved corners in Photoshop. I think Illustrator can do this but I don't have Illustrator installed right now.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've been trying to figure out how to get angular rather than curved corners in Photoshop. I think Illustrator can do this but I don't have Illustrator installed right now.

I'm certain we've discussed this before...............it's been awhile. I think we found a way to do it in Photoshop........I could be wrong. I'll see if I can find the thread.

MrToM

Guru
You can right click a text layer and convert to a shape....then use the fill and stroke as with any other shape.....that gives you sharp corners!

(In fact you have a choice of corners as its a shape...:) )

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can right click a text layer and convert to a shape....then use the fill and stroke as with any other shape.....that gives you sharp corners!

(In fact you have a choice of corners as its a shape...:) )

Regards.
MrTom.

Working now!

Works great! Your the man MrT.

Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 4.18.57 PM.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I wasn't sure if that was what you were after but it looks like it was....yay!

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah........as I stated, this subject has been discussed before. I was fairly certain that a solution had been found but I could not remember that solution. Thanks again for the reminder!

brunurgniani

Sorry for my english guys. I dont speak english hahahahahaha
My problem is this (i will try with imagens):

I use a a stroke (12px) LAYER STYLE in my logo:
p1.png

When i reduce the font size, i have this result:
p2.png

But i want a proportional stroke, like this:
p3.png

IamSam sugested a expanded selection. Yes.. this is the idea...
But i need a stroke as a VECTOR. You understant me?

Its because i use my logo a lot times, in diferents size, so i need a vector.

Tom Mann

Guru
Thank you. That explains it nicely!

Tom

ps - don't worry about your English. Most of us probably couldn't even say, "hi", in your language. :-(

MrToM

Guru
...Its because i use my logo a lot times, in diferents size, so i need a vector...
In that case...

1. Type out your text.
2. Right click the text layer and choose CONVERT TO SHAPE.
3. Select the 'Direct Selection' tool or the 'Path Selection' tool.
4. Choose your FILL and STROKE colour and your stroke thickness......use the 'Set Stroke Type' dropdown to set the stroke to 'Outside'.
5. Once you are happy with the fill and stroke settings, right click the layer again and choose 'Convert To Smart Object'.

You can now scale your text and the stroke will scale with it.

Should you want to edit the text later just double clik the layer to open it as a PSB file, edit, and save. You original file will then be updated with your edits.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

brunurgniani

In that case...

1. Type out your text.
2. Right click the text layer and choose CONVERT TO SHAPE.
3. Select the 'Direct Selection' tool or the 'Path Selection' tool.
4. Choose your FILL and STROKE colour and your stroke thickness......use the 'Set Stroke Type' dropdown to set the stroke to 'Outside'.
5. Once you are happy with the fill and stroke settings, right click the layer again and choose 'Convert To Smart Object'.

You can now scale your text and the stroke will scale with it.

Should you want to edit the text later just double clik the layer to open it as a PSB file, edit, and save. You original file will then be updated with your edits.

Regards.
MrTom.

Thank you very much MrTom. Its work fine!
It exactly it i want.

thx