What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to recreate some text

pixiegirl72

I'm trying to recreate the look of the text in my example here. I've watched like a million videos on to outline text in Photoshop (I have cs5) and I can only get it to outline in black. Also every video I watch on how to do this is different so if there is a step I don't understand, I watch another video and it's totally different. I know there are a lot of ways to do everything in Photoshop. I'm surely looking for the easiest. The font used is Tempus Sans ITC. And I'll need to kern it so the letters are closer together I don't know how to do that either. thanks for any help.

Susan
(photoshop cs5 on a new iMac)Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 11.54.23 AM.png

MrToM

Guru
As you know, text can be outlined (Or stroked) in many different ways.
Kerning is done from the Character panel along with many other settings.

For ease of use its best to get the text the way you want it first and then stroke it.

To keep a clean, vectored text you can convert the text by right clicking the text layer and choosing 'convert to shape'.
From here you can use 'Fill' to fill the text with a colour and 'Stroke' to outline it.

If you want to scale the stroke with the text then convert it to a 'Smart Object'......this will allow stroke scaling.

A pixel based way of 'Stroking' text is to not convert it but to use the stroke 'fx'.....found at the bottom of the layers panel.(Second icon from left).

Whilst this is obviously easier to do it does give you rounded corners which you may not desire......so the corners of a 'T' would all end up rounded.......this is proportional to the stroke amount (in px)

If you are struggling with any of that just shout......I don't know how proficient you are with PS.

Regards.
MrTom.

pixiegirl72

I am just running out now Mr. Tom but I fear I'll be shouting, I don't understand at least 1/2 of what you said but I'd like spend a little bit of time playing with it to see if I can figure out what you said. LOL. My photoshop skills are close to nill!

Susan

MrToM

Guru
No worries...

We can go through it when you are ready.

Regards.
MrTom.