What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching out a color

bkweibley

Ok guys ill start off by saying I am VERY new to Photoshop. Ive been watching tutorials and videos but am still having some questions. I am actually using an old image of an old Paintball jersey that my team used and I am trying to change colors and things on it. Here is the image I am playing around with:
10974593_10153074130414437_164152891510244860_o.jpg

As you can see, the argyle pattern down the sides of the jersey, I would like to change the red in it to a lime green color. I cant figure out how to select all of the red though since it fades from bright to dark. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
The Magic Wand selection tool will do this. You have to Uncheck Contiquous in the command bar. Set your tolerance high (32 etc) if you want a wide selection. Reduce for a narrow one (color wise). Also, set the Sample size to 3x3 for this image.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I'd be tempted to just add a Hue / Saturation layer, set to 'Colorize', change to lime green and then mask out what doesn't need to be green...

colour_Swap_A_02.png

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited by a moderator:

bkweibley

The Magic Wand selection tool will do this. You have to Uncheck Contiquous in the command bar. Set your tolerance high (32 etc) if you want a wide selection. Reduce for a narrow one (color wise). Also, set the Sample size to 3x3 for this image.

Maybe im misunderstanding but when I do exactly what you explained, it just selects the whole image?

bkweibley

I'd be tempted to just add a Hue / Saturation layer, set to 'Colorize', change to lime green and then mask out what doesn't need to be green...

View attachment 53889

Regards.
MrTom.

Just trying to operate on the "keep it simple" premise. Many different ways to do it including Hue & Sat or Curves.

Im going to try to stumble my way threw this LoL. Ill let you know how it works out for me

MrToM

Guru
Im going to try to stumble my way threw this LoL. Ill let you know how it works out for me

No worries....

Its pretty simple to do, one adjustment layer and a bit of painting on the mask (Auto generated by the adjustment layer).

Any probs just shout.

Just for the record I have no idea why ALB68 added HIS comment to the bottom of MY post.....so those are HIS words NOT mine.

Regards.
MrTom.

bkweibley

No worries....

Its pretty simple to do, one adjustment layer and a bit of painting on the mask (Auto generated by the adjustment layer).

Any probs just shout.

Just for the record I have no idea why ALB68 added HIS comment to the bottom of MY post.....so those are HIS words NOT mine.

Regards.
MrTom.

Yeah im pretty bad with this :-/ Im basically trying to learn Photoshop just to fix this jersey up, and its not going so well :-/

MrToM

Guru
Which bit are you having a problem with?

Regards.
MrTom.

bkweibley

Im not following on how you selected which part of the image got the hue/saturation change. I added the hue/saturation layer but it just changes the whole image, and its not very easy to select the actual color you want to use?

MrToM

Guru
If you follow my method you'll notice that I don't mention selections as no selection is necessary.

Adding a Hue / Sat layer does change the whole image...yes, which is why you then use the mask to 'hide' what you don't want to be, (in your case), green.

In the 'Properties' panel check the 'Colorize' checkbox.
Use the 'Saturation' slider to up the saturation a little...
Use the 'Hue' slider to choose what colour you want.
Adjust the saturation again if it still needs it.

The white rectangle that appears with the Hue / Sat adjustment layer, next to the layer thumbnail, is the 'mask'.

Select it (It has white corners when selected) and just paint on it, (your image), with the brush tool.

When you select the 'mask' the foreground and background colours should automatically change to Black and White.

Make sure that Black is the foreground colour and just paint on the mask.....Black HIDES the adjustment layer....White REVEALS the adjustment layer.

The image you posted is not the best so being accurate isn't really an issue.....a small-ish, black, soft-ish brush is all you need.

If you make a mistake don't panic.....just hit 'X' on your keyboard to swap the foreground and background colours.....paint in white to remove your error....hit 'x' again and carry on.

5 mins, tops.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

bkweibley

Thank you for the great explanation. I want to pick your brain a little bit on this. This jersey was made for us 5-6 years ago by someone who did art design work. Obviously I usually dont and this is out of my realm... Doing what we talked about I was able to get:

http://gyazo.com/46f1a84f2d4884599e3ca7e0d1245c2a

Now my question is, the fade really looks weird the way it is now. We are using Cyan and Lime Green for our team colors, what would be the easiest way to have the lime green boxes all be the same lime green the whole way down, you can see where they go from the green to red to black, I just want them all to be lime green though, and then the opposite boxes that are black id like to see them be cyan. Keep the black around the inside of the jersey though and on the skyline, what are your thoughts?

This was something I was playing around with, without the jersey with just the name and sponsors on a brick wall.

Momentum banner no wpp.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Hmmm....

It can be done with methods already suggested earlier by ALB68....ie, the magic wand.

It would be a case of selecting the white 'icons' in the squares first and getting them on their own layer.
The black squares could then be selected, somehow, and filled with cyan.
The 'icons' would then be moved above the squares.

Mind you, that is using a good clear image though....it would take far more 'manual' work to apply the process to the image you supplied, and even then the result wouldn't be that good.

The initial image plays such a big part when trying to 'separate' different parts out to be used again.....sometimes it's better to just re-do the whole thing from scratch.....there is only so much you can do with a bad jpeg.

With this type of work there will always be a certain amount of 'manual' work involved, but obviously with a larger clearer image to work on that amount would be considerably reduced.

As to the wall....its good, but check out some video tutorials on 'Graffitti'....this is just one of the better ones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88wMjgfEFLM

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Maybe im misunderstanding but when I do exactly what you explained, it just selects the whole image?

I see you got it done using Mr Tom's method which was good. If your interested in the magic wand operation here is some further explanation. But based on what you did, the original method would have worked to select ALL red of the pixel values had it been applied correctly.

Let's try again. In this case where you are wanting to change individual areas of color, LEAVE CONTIGUOUS CHECKED with the Magic Wand tool open. At the top, from Left to Right, click to choose the second icon where the two rectangles overlap, enter sample size of 3x3, set tolerance to 32, uncheck anti-alias, check contiguous , leave sample all layers unchecked. Next, click on each area you want to change (just in the red you want to put the green).If it doesn't select all of it,click the unselected area and it will add it.Once selected, open the Eyedropper tool and click on some of the green. This will make it your foreground color. Then press Alt+Backspace. That will fill all the selected areas with the green in the foreground.

Last edited:

ALB68

No worries....

Any probs just shout.

Regards.
MrTom.

Sorry Mr T- I meant to hit Reply and I hit Edit instead and then the phone rung..the rest is history :rofl:

bkweibley

If I'm starting over from scratch is there a good place to find images like brick walls, silhouettes and things like that or do you just Google stuff like that?

MrToM

Guru
Sorry Mr T- I meant to hit Reply and I hit Edit instead and then the phone rung..the rest is history...
No worries...

Good job you wern't ironing when the phone rang eh?....Ouch!

bkweibley
I think most people would just google stuff like that.
Just make sure that any images you use are allowed to be used for the purpose.....if in doubt, get permission from the owner.
Other than that.....just go search.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's not a forum glitch.........it's a Tapatalk glitch.

MrToM

Guru
Correction......its a Tapatalk glitch....whatever that is.

For me the whole site is pretty screwed up at the moment .....and not a Tapatalk in sight!
(I thinks its more me though rather than a site problem)

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited: