What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Photo restoration for a newbie.

efiste2

We found this wonderfull photograph last week of my Grandparents and my great grandparents.....as you can see its in a state, id like to try to make it better than it is now, perhaps remove the creases etc, so as a newbie what tools or processes would you recommend.
Im not expecting miracles, just an improvement...
Harry,Gwen,Harrys Mum and Dad and two others poss Rhoda.jpg

Thanks for any help:confused:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
You have apparently scanned this at 1200ppi which is good. If you have a scanner and can scan it even higher , do so. This will help to enlarge it to a decent size to display.
The damage on it is actually not too bad. I have seen a lot worse. You can do most of this with the clone, patch, and healing tools. It would benefit from a Shadow-Highlight Adjustment to bring out some of the details in the shadow areas. I would change it to RGB color in order to use filters etc that are not available in greyscale color mode.
Actually, a good deal of the damage can be repaired using the Spot Healing Brush set to Content Aware. Try this and other and if you need more help give us a shout.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Couldn't agree more with Larry on this one...some good points raised there.

As a personal preference, I find working with 256 shades of grey far easier than 16.7 million colours....I stand more chance of getting one or two of them right. That goes for colour images too...I work on the colour image but view it as greyscale......personally I just find it easier.

Just my 2¢.

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT:

The image posted must be re-sampled if the resolution is to be believed, the image is only 1024x739px which would make the original less than an inch wide.

Quite why the resolution would be changed after the fact I dunno but something doesn't add up.

If the original IS 1200ppi and a much larger image then as Larry said....that's a good thing!

Last edited:

ALB68

Attachments

• restore2.JPG
    restore2.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ALB68

Couldn't agree more with Larry on this one...some good points raised there.

As a personal preference, I find working with 256 shades of grey far easier than 16.7 million colours....I stand more chance of getting one or two of them right. That goes for colour images too...I work on the colour image but view it as greyscale......personally I just find it easier.

Just my 2¢.

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT:

The image posted must be re-sampled if the resolution is to be believed, the image is only 1024x739px which would make the original less than an inch wide.

Quite why the resolution would be changed after the fact I dunno but something doesn't add up.

If the original IS 1200ppi and a much larger image then as Larry said....that's a good thing!

The reason for the RGB change is to make certain filters available..i.e. Camera Raw as a filter from within PS. It can be very helpful with restores. Many times you need all the help you can get.
I have been working with the Operation Photo Rescue site which I know you are a member. I have experienced some of the absolute worst photos that have been in storms and other disasters. Don't think for one minute that since it is a volunteer thing that you can turn in crappy work and get it accepted for distribution to the owner. They are tough and extremely detail oriented. This photo is a piece of cake compared to some of those I have done.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Larry, your restore image has been eaten by the Penguin Ghosts in the system.

ALB68