What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot access Camera Raw Gradient Filter Brush function

Conrad

Thank you for taking my question. I have Photoshop CS6 and the most updated version of everything. As I understand it - perhaps mistakenly - Camera Raw has introduced a brush tool function within the gradient filter.

However my Camera Raw shows no such addition.

I've spent quite a bit of time looking for an answer but cannot find one. Perhaps it doesn't exist in CS6?

Perhaps I am missing something obvious and am just being a muppet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer

MrToM

Guru
In ACR 8.8 there is a 'Graduated' filter brush, but no 'Gradient' filter brush.......is that what you do not have?

Posting grabs of what you expect to see and what you actually see would be very helpful.

What version of ACR Plugin does your CS6 open?

You can use:
Help > About Plug-In > Camera Raw...
...to find the ACR version.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Conrad

Thanks Mr. Tom.
First I apologize as I should have written Graduated Filter... Thanks for that clarity
Second, I have ACR 8.8
Third I have posted screen captures of what I see and what I think I should see according to just about everything I have read.

Cheers,
Conrad1 Mine.jpgTheirs 2.jpg

MrToM

Guru
No need for apologies.....Its just that it can get really confusing when the right terminology isn't used......there are lots of things that have double meanings....not in this case but ya know.......same page and all that.

Well you have the only 'Graduated' filter brush I know of right there....

Theirs-2.png

Is that what you are looking for?

Regards.
MrTom.

Conrad

Yes, I have that. I just assumed that when graduated filter (GF) was used that I would access to the brush option "within" the GF option as in 3rd choice from the left on the right panel (see attached).
I assume the option you provided you have shown me does the same function.

For example, let's say I used the GF to highlight a sky with a building in the foreground but wanted to keep the building lighter rather than being adjusted along with the GF adjustments.
Many thanks again for your time and patience with newbie questions.

Theirs 2.jpg

MrToM

Guru
No worries... I actually don't have that 'brush' option in my version.....8.8....

ACR_8_8.png

It may be defined by the RAW file type as to which option you get...I dunno for sure.
One thing I do know though is that for me anyway those options don't become available until you start painting...

The image above shows a normal 'png' file opened in ACR 8.8 via the 'filter' option in CC 2014 as I only have 1 'raw' file, (.NEF), and its not mine to display but I did open it in ACR 8.8 directly and got the same options in the UI.

So I'm not sure why its different for you......someone that uses ACR on a more regular basis is bound to have a better answer for you....sorry I can't be of any more help.

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT:
I just looked again and noticed you had the GF filter selected...not the brush........in which case just start painting and the brush will become available to you.

Last edited:

Conrad

For what it is worth I just nagged Adobe and they said that a brush function within the gradient filter is not available for CS6 users though it is available for CC users.
Though I find this really strange I suppose it is the answer I will have to live with for now.

Thanks again for all your help