What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flare filter question

Mourinho

Hi, I quite like using the flare filter to create a gradiated look. However, I can't bear the mock sun glare/artefacts. They look naff and detract from the look I'm creating. Can anyone help me by telling me how erase the circles while keeping the bleached look? Many thanks

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I believe if you first add a layer, then convert that layer for Smart filters, then apply the Lens Flare. You have some control over the flare now. Try inverting the mask and then click in the mask for the properties. Change the feathering and density until you get something you like. You can also paint in the mask to take away or add back You can also click on the little icon on the right to bring up the blending options for the filter. Hope I am understanding what your wanting to do. There is not a "flare filter" per se, there is Filter/Render/Lens Flare.

Last edited:

PGalangArt

If understand what you are trying to do, why not use Lighting Effects set to omni or spotlight. This effect can give you a nice flare like light without the sun glare/light rings that come with lens flare. Also, you have more control over the light:
New Layer > Fill with grey > change to smart object > add Lighting Effects > set layer to overlay or screen.

If you are adamant about using Lens Flare, try:
New Layer > Fill with black > change to smart object > add Lens Flare > add blur filter (i prefer gaussian blur) > then set layer to overlay or screen.
Play around with the blur filter to get rid of the sun glare.

Last edited:

PGalangArt

Here's a quick edit I did. Personally, i prefer the Lighting Effect method.

Untitled-3.jpg

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
The original looks fine and dandy to me mate.

PGalangArt

Still not sure if this is what you're trying to accomplish, but I went back and played around some more (ahem..after GS Warriors game ahem GO DUBS ahem)
These both use the same orange color instead of black and grey. Exaggerated effect for clarity.

Untitled-9.jpg