What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Make a Speech Bubble?

djboston

I am trying to figure out the best way of creating something like this. I know it's easy, but I can't figure it out. I have watched videos and videos, and everyone does something different and most are using them on cartoons. Maybe someone could give me some pointers on doing this. I have attached an example of what I am looking to accomplish. This isn't exactly what I am looking for, but I need to learn hoe to make the bubbles like those.

Attachments

• bubble.jpg
    bubble.jpg
    868 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello djboston.

In your example, are you wanting to know how to make the speech bubble itself or how to interlink them?

djboston

I would like to learn to make the Speech Bubbles themselves.However in PS under Custom Shapes there is only a hand full of speech bubblesbut the conversation arrow only goes in one direction and that’s to the left(At least in my version anyway.)

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I would like to learn to make the Speech Bubbles themselves.However in PS under Custom Shapes there is only a hand full of speech bubblesbut the conversation arrow only goes in one direction and that’s to the left(At least in my version anyway.)
You can always Edit/Transform/Flip Horizontal. These would be very easy to draw also.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, after you have created the speech bubble with the Custom Shape tool, you can reverse the image using free transform and flipping horizontal.....

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 1.44.14 PM.png

You can also use the Rounded rectangular tool, set to path, to create a rounded rectangular path that you can then use the Pen Tool to add in the tail in any size, length, or direction you desire.

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 1.42.05 PM.png
Then you can set up your brush tool to any width (circumference), density, hardness, color, etc., to stoke that path.

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 1.56.15 PM.png

Or you can reset the shape tools (Pen) to Shape, and stroke the path from the tools options bar......
Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 1.53.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 1.53.44 PM.png
These are a few techniques, there are others.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can change the color of the stroke in the options. And add a drop shadow with a layer style.
Since this is a shape with a path, it's completely editable.

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 2.01.51 PM.png

Last edited:

djboston

Perfect. Well there is another thing that I have learnt on this site. Awesome Thanks so much. I am using the CC version and I didn't think that there was a way of loading shapes and I just figured that out also. But what you just taught me I can apply to other things and that makes life a whole hell of a lot easier.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great.

The one thing about the custom shape bubbles is that most are solid. I noticed that your examples were not.

Here's another great trick, once you have made one you like, you can define it as a custom shape! Go to edit, then define as custom shape.

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 2.13.44 PM.png

Now with the Custom Shape Tool, you can use it over and over again in any color or size you like!

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 2.17.31 PM.png

Last edited: