What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get this effect?

Tom Mann

Guru
I see two differences between the two pix you posted. The 1st difference is that the shadow areas (particularly, the car) are lightened with little change in the brighter tones. The 2nd difference between them is that the contrast and saturation in the shadow areas have been reduced, making these areas look a bit "flatter" and grayer, not just brighter. I'm going to guess that your major interest is simply making the car look good, so I'm going to guess that you would probably like the car brighter while retaining or even increasing contrast and saturation.

The easiest way to do this is to use the shadows/highlights tool. It is located here in PS: image / adjustments / shadow-highlights.

I intentionally made the effect a bit more pronounced than in your goal image, and I've attached a screenshot of the settings I used for that tool.

If I guessed wrong, and you actually wanted the brighter image, but with flatter contrast and less color saturation, a few tweaks of the adjustments in that dialog box will get you most of the way there.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• bring_out_shadow_detail_using_shadow_highlights_tool-ps01a-01.jpg
    bring_out_shadow_detail_using_shadow_highlights_tool-ps01a-01.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot-shadow_hilight_dialog_box.jpg
    Screenshot-shadow_hilight_dialog_box.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 41

Solidu5

This is very helpful, but can you try to reproduce the exact image(color and all)? How do i make a similar filter?

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Dear Solidu, as I said, to get an even closer approximation of the goal image, all you have to do is adjust the sliders in dialog box I showed in my previous post. That one set of adjustments *IS* the filter.

I'm not sure what your final goal really is, but since you already have an "after" shot for this particular image, my guess is that you hope to apply a "filter" that we develop for you to other images. Is this your goal? What version of PS do you use? What is your experience level.

Unfortunately, if your goal is for us to develop a do-it-all filter for you, you are likely to be disappointed because each image, depending on its brightness, contrast, color saturation, etc. will require its own settings. That's why, if you like this general effect, I strongly suggest you familiarize yourself with the adjustments available with that tool. I would also comment that the changes you are asking for are small enough, that, IMHO, most people won't even notice them unless presented with side-by-side comparisons.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
There are always many different ways to accomplish a particular goal in PS. Here's completely different approach using only ACR. Is this result close enough?

Tom M

Attachments

• match_processing-ps02a_for_GIF_698px_hi.gif
    match_processing-ps02a_for_GIF_698px_hi.gif
    697 KB · Views: 46

Tom Mann

Guru
And, here's what I really would like to do with it, LOL.

Tom M

Attachments

• bring_out_shadow_detail_using_shadow_highlights_tool-ps01a-01-cutout_efx-02.jpg
    bring_out_shadow_detail_using_shadow_highlights_tool-ps01a-01-cutout_efx-02.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 40

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
adding on to tom's post, you could add a subtle grey-dark grey gradient, put that in a new layer on the image set it to soft light or overlay, and reduce its opacity to below 10% it'll give it a bit more mood.

Last edited:

Solidu5

There are always many different ways to accomplish a particular goal in PS. Here's completely different approach using only ACR. Is this result close enough?

Tom M
wow! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Can you post what you did start to finish? sorry I'm so nooby. thanks! :)

Tom Mann

Guru
Ok. Now that I know your level of experience, when I get back home tonight, I'll write up something for u. Do u know what ACR is? Are u going to try to apply the filter to other car photos?

Tom

Solidu5

Ok. Now that I know your level of experience, when I get back home tonight, I'll write up something for u. Do u know what ACR is? Are u going to try to apply the filter to other car photos?

Tom

Thanks! no idk what ACR is, and yes I will try

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Solidu -

A couple of things:

a) As I mentioned in an earlier post, given that you are only satisfied with a very, very close approximation to that one particular look, you are likely to be unhappy if you blindly apply the ACR preset that I developed for you to other images that are even modestly different from the present starting image. To get the precise look that you want in other images, you will likely have to devote substantial time to learning how to use the many adjustments in ACR. In fact, for some starting images, it may not be possible to use this approach. It is only guaranteed to give you the one precise look for the one, specific starting image that you posted.

b) Since you have said that you are quite new to photoshop, you will first have to learn some basic terminology and procedures before you even get to the point of learning how to use ACR. I'll be happy to walk you through this, but be prepared for some work. Mine is definitely not a one-button Instagram-like approach. In fact, if you don't want to put in the required work, and, in the process, learn a lot about PS, instead, you may want to spend some time searching for a suitable Instagram or other "one-click" solution.

In any case, to get you started, here are a few links to give you an introduction to ACR and show you how to load my preset into ACR.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2...secret-to-using-it-for-just-about-everything/

http://youtu.be/-Q7XdGxvri0

Let me know which route you prefer to take and if you have any questions about the material in the above links.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Whoops ... I forgot to attache the xmp "preset" file to my previous post. Here it is.

Tom

Attachments

• lighten_dark_car-tjm01.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 3

Solidu5

thanks you so much! I have been playing around with the settings all day, and I'm gonna keep doing so. The help you provided is a good place to start. thanks again

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm glad u decided to go with this approach! Once you become familiar with ACR as a tool, you will be amazed what it can do! It will be a skill you will be glad to have learned.

Again, if u have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Tom