What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help! How can i change the texture of fabirc but still keep the creases?

Coffee_Girl

Hi guys! I am a noobie and I desperately need your help. I am trying to get into retexturing items for my Sims game but I can't seem to find a tutorial that will allow me to change a texture but maintain the original image's shadows and creasing. I attached a photo of what I am looking for:

Untitled-2.png

The above is the cover for a bed...I want to change it from a pink pattern to a green pattern. I want the green pattern to not be flat, i want it to have the little creases and shadows from the pink design so that it looks natural and realistic. Please help?

Coffee_Girl

You are a god send. If only i can send you an ehug, thank u so much! I've been trying to do this for years!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Coffee_Girl and welcome to PSG.

The problem with your examples would be removing the existing pattern from the original. Once that's accomplished, then placing any pattern layer over it and changing the the blend mode and opacity would be all that it would take.

Bed cover
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 1.46.06 PM.png

Fabric
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 1.47.48 PM.png

combined
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 1.46.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 1.46.31 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Without removing the original pattern, you will will have a fabric combination like this........

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 1.53.45 PM.png

Just like you see here, which is both the original and new pattern.
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 1.59.01 PM.png

Last edited:

Coffee_Girl

Hello Coffee_Girl and welcome to PSG.

The problem with your examples would be removing the existing pattern from the original. Once that's accomplished, then placing any pattern layer over it and changing the the blend mode and opacity would be all that it would take.

Bed cover
View attachment 54367

Fabric
View attachment 54369

combined
View attachment 54368

View attachment 54370

OMG I dont know how you did that but i've been trying to fiddle with photoshop for years to obtain that effect! I am such a noob with photoshop, but I am learning to make more patterns now...thank you!

Coffee_Girl

So ideally the best method would be to have the "base" texture be white and without patterns already on it?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So ideally the best method would to have the "base" texture to be white and without patterns already on it?

Yep, that would be ideal, otherwise it could get complicated removing the old pattern.

Coffee_Girl

What if I have textures that are similar but i want the exact color of the new texture? Say for example I have this texture (texture 1): View attachment 54373...but I want to replace it with this one (texture 2): View attachment 54374.

I want #1 to take the texture from #2 but i want the EXACT color of #2...not a mix or combination of 2 colors.

So i assume that I need to desaturate #1 and then create an overlay of #2 then multiply colors?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You still have the same issue that you had with the fabric. The only way to avoid combining the textures would be to remove it from the original that your trying to change.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here, I just quickly rebuilt/re-made the panel without texture....

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 2.49.06 PM.png

Then I placed the texture/color from image #2 over the panel layer.

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 2.49.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 2.52.34 PM.png

Coffee_Girl

That is exactly what i want, but how did you remove the texture while keeping the shadows? Is there a tutorial for this? Thank you so much!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just remade it using mostly the Rectangular Marquis Tool and layer styles. The Brush Tool and I used the Line Tool for the vertical panel line.

Start off with an empty layer and fill with white....
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 3.07.17 PM.png

Add a Inner Shadow layer style......
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 3.07.31 PM.png

On a new layer.
Use the Rectangular Marquis Tool to create the small rectangle at the bottom.
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 3.07.45 PM.png

Fill with white. Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselect.
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 3.07.58 PM.png

Add a Drop Shadow Layer Style.....
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 3.08.14 PM.png

On a new layer.
Use the Brush Tool to create the shading on the ends of the small rectangle.....
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 3.08.38 PM.png

On a new layer.
Use the Rectangular Marquis Tool to create the vents.
I created one, then duplicated it 4 more times. I used the Move Tool to move them.
When don I selected all of the vents and hit Cmd/Cntrl + E to merge them.
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 3.10.14 PM.png

On a new layer.
I used the Line Tool to make the panel line.
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 3.10.24 PM.png

Finally, I selected all layers that make up the new panel, hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to duplicate and then Cmd/Cntrl + E to merge.

I then placed the Image #2 layer on top of the merged image and set it's layer mode to Multiply.
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 3.23.03 PM.png

Coffee_Girl

I dont know how to thank you guys enough for this. You really made my day! I can finally start making my own stuff for my virtual doll house =D

Last edited: