What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

white color appears grey

aks

Hi,
I was making texture for a 3d model but some problems have come up. I copied a preshaded/shadow texture(of 3ds max),on a diffuse texture layer and after setting the shadow map mode to "multiply" I tried to paint white on the diffuse layer but the white color is appearing grey.does anyone have any idea why this is happening...it was working fine before but because of this problem I am not able to finish my work..someone please help

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
its probably your ambient occlusion layer interferng with the diffuse. paint the white above the ambient occlusion layer and see if the same thing happens. if it appears white in top of all of the layers, turn the brightness of your AO layer up. :)

aks

Thank you for the suggestion.Increasing the brightness does work but does not look good.anyway I am posting a pic of the problem..is there any other way to rectify this..never happened before just this time...

2w5kshc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
its probably your ambient occlusion layer interfering with the diffuse. paint the white above the ambient occlusion layer and see if the same thing happens.

I can see by your screen shot that you did not follow her suggestion of painting the white in a layer ABOVE the diffuse texture map layer.

In my example, you can see where the shadow layer, set to Multiply, will turn the white (in the diffuse texture map) grey....
Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 11.20.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 11.19.29 AM.png

aks

I did follow the instructions correctly.but its still the same thing..Maybe something changed in the Photoshop settings..because it never happened before..does not matter where j paint the white color..with the shadow map set to multiply the white looks grey.also I tried painting on the diffuse map on the areas relative to the black color of the shadow map..but it just won't show the colors.just black only...

MrToM

Guru
...does anyone have any idea why this is happening...
The 'multiply' blend mode always results in a darker colour.

The area in question on the 'Shadow' layer is approx 80 RGB and is set to 'multiply'.
You say you've painted white under that so that's 255 RGB.

PS works in linear (Standardized) mode so converting 80 and 255 we get roughly 0.3 and 1.0

0.3 'multiplied' by 1.0 is 0.3.....or 80 RGB.......grey.

It should therefore be obvious that any colour 'multiplied' by white will result in the darker of the two colours.
I'm not really sure why you find this 'unusual'....its normal 'multiply' behaviour.

I can only assume that you've not done the same as you have before and have either different layer blending modes or different colours.

As it stands in your posted image, PS is doing as it should.

Regards.
MrTom.

aks

Yes, setting the shadow map mode to multiply does make the diffuse layer colors below darker..but the white does not change so much to make it look grey..I am posting a snap of a previous model's texture with ShadowMap set to multiply. Maybe while using the shortcut keys i might have unknowingly pressed some other keys. And the previous texture is also not working now when i paint white, it is also appearing grey :(

mlmvkp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
aks - Your posts are being moderated by our system due to the fact that your using hotlinks to a image hosting site and it must wait for a moderator to come along and approve it. Try not to repeat your posts if it does not come up immediately.

The way to avoid this situation is to upload your image directly to our server using the 'add image' icon in the reply window.

Thanks, Sam.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How are you painting white?

Be sure and check the TOOL MODE of whatever tool your using to "paint" the white. It should be set to normal.

If your using the "FILL" function, make sure it's blend mode is set to normal.

You might have to upload the PSD file so we can take a look at it.

MrToM

Guru
I'm having difficulty posting to the site at the moment so please bear with me if my post doesn't show correctly.

...I am posting a snap of a previous model's texture with ShadowMap set to multiply...

...and shows exactly what I described before......where it is white on white you will get white, where it is grey on white you will get grey.

Its extremely difficult to work with the example images you've posted, they do not show the contents of the layers in the layers panel to any usable size....but....undeterred, I've placed your 'shadow' layer [copied from the layer thumbnail] over the workspace image....and reduced the opacity to reveal the canvas.

Its [nearly] clear to see that where the result is white is also where the 'shadow' layer is white.

multiply_blend_mode_A_01.png

Using 'multiply' as the blend mode there is only one condition where the resulting blend is white....and that is where both the base layer and the blend layer are also white.

No other condition will result in white.

Its not PS, its not a shortcut toggle, its the blend mode, the layers, and the contents within them.

Regards.
MrTom.

aks

Thank you all..will double check everything including the shadow map.let me see if I can sort out any mistake

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
when I first started texturing with ambient shadow maps, I had exactly the same problem, its really just a case of setting your layers up into a veritable heirarchy pretty much.

what I like to do, is to set an ambient occlusion layer on the bottom, to make the base, then the diffuse colour layers are placed on top and set to a blend mode that works, and then if needed a duplicate of the ambient shadow map is placed on top of everything is set to overlay to give the shading more clarity

Last edited: