What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to change color of truck

pixiegirl72

My friend has a young son and he (the son) wants the color of this truck tan. I'm sure someone could do it for me but I'd like to learn how one would do this.

The red truck is the one we want to change to tan.

The tan truck is the color we want the red truck.

Thanks for any help/instructions (simplest way I'm a super newbie)

Susan

bigtruck.jpg

tan truck.png

MrToM

Guru
It looks as if the 'red' truck has already been changed.......do you have the original?

Regards.
MrTom.

pixiegirl72

Hi Mr. Tom,

I think I need to put you on retainer! It was 'Shopped before and no we don't have the original of this photo. However my friend who I'm doing this for owns the truck. It's his truck, in his shop yard, but he can't find the original. He's building this monster truck from an assortment of trucks. (he's a truck nut). It's for his 5-year-old son so it doesn't have to be "perfect."

Susan

MrToM

Guru
No worries...it would just have been that little bit easier to work on, thats all, but no matter.

I'm nearing completion on this for your perusal......if its good enough I'll go through the steps with you.

Be right back. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrTom.

pixiegirl72

All the pix were photoshopped by an employee they were trying to decide on the right "configuration" for the finished product. Here is one of the early ones.

IMG_6325.JPG

MrToM

Guru
Yeah....having TWO back windows kind of gave the game away really....LOL....that and the 'red'.

Anyway, no matter...how's this...?

truck_A_01.png

Any good?

Regards.
MrTom.

pixiegirl72

Wow, honestly, that's amazing. I've been trying to do it all morning and I just couldn't. They are actually building this truck, it's about halfway there and it's amazing! Wow thanks, so now the big question..... how did you do it?

Susan

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Here's one
bigtrucktan.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Cool....ok then, this is pretty simple as requested:

1. Open both images. FILE > OPEN (Select both and click Open).
2. With the source image (tan) active, select the 'Eyedropper' tool.
3. Set the Sample Size to 11x11 Average....(top of the workspace).
4. I sampled the middle of the door (Clicked on it) as its the largest area of the required colour. I sampled #A08D6F (160 141 111)....yours will probably be slightly different.
5. Now switch to the target image (Red).
6. Create a New Layer.
7. Fill it with the sampled colour.
8. DOUBLE Click an EMPTY space next to the layer thumbnail....in other words anywhere BUT the layer name....otherwise you'll just select the name for editing.
9. This should give you the 'Blending Options' dialog window.
10. At the bottom of that is 'BLEND IF'.....change 'Blend If...' to RED...

blending_options_dialog.png

11. Adjust the sliders for the 'Underlying Layer' to taste....you can split each end by holding Alt + dragging.....see the right [EDIT: LEFT] hand slider....its 'split' into two. You may find different values are better so experiment with them.

12. This will adjust the WHOLE image so to remove the effect from the parts we don't want we add a layer mask.....thats the THIRD ICON from left at the bottom of the layers panel.
13. With BLACK as the foreground colour, paint on the MASK in black to 'hide' the blending effect.
NOTE: Make sure the MASK is selected before trying to paint on it....it should have WHITE CORNERS around ITS thumbnail.
14. Thats it for the colour....I added some shadow (burn tool) to the inside and added some of the background through the windows but thats not required.

My layers panel...

layers_panel.png

See....I said it was simple! :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

pixiegirl72

Thanks to you too ALB68.

Mr. Tom, I'm going to try it, I've followed your directions step by step before. It's more complicated than I thought. One step at a time! Many thanks!!!!

Susan

MrToM

Guru
No worries...

It may LOOK complicated but all you are doing is filling a new layer with a colour, changing the blending and hiding anything you don't want.

Thats it.

You can do that easily.

You can ignore the top three layers in my example...they were over and above changing the colour.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Thanks to you too ALB68.

Mr. Tom, I'm going to try it, I've followed your directions step by step before. It's more complicated than I thought. One step at a time! Many thanks!!!!

Susan
Susan, here is my method
My method:
Before anything, brighten the whole image by adding a Brightess and Contrast adjustment layer and make the background layer into a regular layer by double clicking in it.
First, determine what the tan color is in terms of the RGB numbers. Just click on it with eyedropper, It is R161,G133,B89
Next sample the red in the truck
Click Image/Adjust/Replace color
Slide the fuzziness slider all the way to the right to encompass all the red
Then click the color swatch in the bottom of the panel and enter 161,133,89 respectively in the RGB numbers
You need to lighten the tan a bit so just move the lightness slider to the right
Click OK and that's it