What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

refine edge problem

Junqi Ng

Hi all,

when i try to do the refine edge to get the details out from the face left side. it somehow having some stroke problem?

can anyone guide me how can i go about it ? i have watch a few videos and follow through the matter but somehow i still getting this stroke problem. sometime when i brush over the edge it give me transparent & some blacky thing over.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

error photoshop 1.jpgphotoshop error .jpgphotoshop error 999.jpgphotoshop 1000.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Junqi Ng and welcome to PSG.

I really can't tell what your referring to as your problem. I see in the last image that your edge detection smart radius seems too high which is giving you the transparency. Sorry I was not of more help.

Junqi Ng

Hello Junqi Ng and welcome to PSG.

I really can't tell what your referring to as your problem. I see in the last image that your edge detection smart radius seems too high which is giving you the transparency. Sorry I was not of more help.

even though i put to radius 1.0 i still having the same issue.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is the problem............I don't understand your issue. Sorry.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Suggest you get it as close as you can and output it to a new layer with a mask. Invert the mask and make your fine tune adjustments with your paint brush loaded with white or black as needed. Refine edge is not the greatest to be honest.

Junqi Ng

Suggest you get it as close as you can and output it to a new layer with a mask. Invert the mask and make your fine tune adjustments with your paint brush loaded with white or black as needed. Refine edge is not the greatest to be honest.

i already did as close as possible but still same. i did try create a layer mask and refine mask still no outcome same problem. what do you mean by invert how can i invert it ? other than refine edge any other recommendation that i can cut out my image and put it into other background?

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
i already did as close as possible but still same. i did try create a layer mask and refine mask still no outcome same problem. what do you mean by invert how can i invert it ? other than refine edge any other recommendation that i can cut out my image and put it into other background?

Upload the original image please.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Use the layer mask and the Brush tool to mask the hair as best you can......

Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 7.14.37 PM.png

Then you can use the Brush Tool to add back hair if you like.

Junqi Ng

Upload the original image please.

Hi,

here the image. by the way, i try using layer mask and refine with layer mask. when i brush over the hair my details doesn't show up and worst part is that the some of the hair become black substance.

iron_man3-guy-pearce-poster1-610x919.jpg

Junqi Ng

Use the layer mask and the Brush tool to mask the hair as best you can......

View attachment 54569

Then you can use the Brush Tool to add back hair if you like.

Hi,

iamsam i did layer the mask and brush over the hair,shirt and hand details however when i brush over the details did not appear. worst part is that i get black substances or transparent substance when i brush over the details that i want it to be appear.

any idea what went wrong ? i have try reset the prefences of adobe and reinstall same outcome.

MrToM

Guru
Junqi Ng

That is not the image used in your screen shots in your first post.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi,

iamsam i did layer the mask and brush over the hair,shirt and hand details however when i brush over the details did not appear. worst part is that i get black substances or transparent substance when i brush over the details that i want it to be appear.

any idea what went wrong ? i have try reset the prefences of adobe and reinstall same outcome.

Don't use refine edge. I understand that your having problems with refine edge. I tried it myself on this image and it does not work well.

I am talking about using a layer mask only.

Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 10.07.59 PM.png

Use your Brush Tool to create the mask. (And the Pen Tool)

Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 10.07.46 PM.png

Last edited:

Junqi Ng

For the hair issue you could always paint in the edges, try using a custom paint brush set up for your image - http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorial...s-to-render-fur-in-adobe-photoshop--cms-23504

i did paint in the edges but somehow when i paint i do not get the details out. i get black substances along the hair. it doesn't seems correct. But i see video all they do is using a normal brush and every details show but why mine cannot.

kindly advise me on this. thank you very much.

Junqi Ng

Don't use refine edge. I understand that your having problems with refine edge. I tried it myself on this image and it does not work well.

I am talking about using a layer mask only.

View attachment 54571

Use your Brush Tool to create the mask. (And the Pen Tool)

View attachment 54572

you mean by using brush tool paint over the subject and create the layer mask ?

if that so, but by using that i cannot get the full details of the subject. As in, there might be some part unable to select properly. So in the end, i will end up getting imperfect image.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
you mean by using brush tool paint over the subject and create the layer mask ?

if that so, but by using that i cannot get the full details of the subject. As in, there might be some part unable to select properly. So in the end, i will end up getting imperfect image.

Yes you can get details, it will just take a little work.

You can make a general selection like this with the Quick Selection Tool.......
Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 10.28.36 PM.png

Then add a layer mask.....
Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 10.29.08 PM.png

Now, with the layer mask selected, use your Brush Tool work out the details.
Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 10.32.31 PM.png

Last edited:

Junqi Ng