What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't I select a rectangle?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
That doesn't work out....does it?

If you are copying FROM 'Canvas B' then that is the original.....and yet you say 'canvas A' is the original...???

From what I understand you want to copy pixels from a smaller canvas to a larger one but retain their position in relationship to a Pixel Grid.....yes?

In which case, if you just made the smaller canvas, 'A', larger you wouldn't need to copy or paste anything.

I don't know why you need a larger canvas and it really doesn't matter but if thats all you are trying to do then making the original canvas larger seems to be the easiest solution.

Regards.
MrTom.

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...-rectangle-post1533709301.html#post1533709301

This requires a different approach to get the right workflow for the OP.....

Carry on MrT..... the roosters are crowing here in my location and it's time for bed.....

I'll catch up on this later in the morning......

That doesn't work out....does it?

If you are copying FROM 'Canvas B' then that is the original.....and yet you say 'canvas A' is the original...???

From what I understand you want to copy pixels from a smaller canvas to a larger one but retain their position in relationship to a Pixel Grid.....yes?

In which case, if you just made the smaller canvas, 'A', larger you wouldn't need to copy or paste anything.

I don't know why you need a larger canvas and it really doesn't matter but if thats all you are trying to do then making the original canvas larger seems to be the easiest solution.

Regards.
MrTom.

There is no original. The original can be any file. The original is just a 3482349x23482394px placeholder so I can import lots of files into it.

YES.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
There is no original. The original can be any file. The original is just a 3482349x23482394px placeholder so I can import lots of files into it.

YES.

Right....sorry for being a bit slow.

Let me experiment for a while.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

YES. Now what?

I'm uncertain if there could be a suitable script that could be created for it. The images may be of different sizes and you may have resize them to square off with one another.

But give my eyeball suggestion a try. Import a few animations into your new document, group each animation into individual sets so its easy to identify them, resize to a standard needed then manually do your planned animation.

Tedious but it's what can be thought of with short notice and lack of detail in what you want to achieve as your final animation.....

MrToM

Guru
...I'm uncertain if there could be a suitable script that could be created for it...
I'm inclined to agree.

@OP
What are your grid settings?
I see no Subdivisions on your screen shots and PS has a limit on subdivision size.

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT: Ignore that, its me being an idiot.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Well I can't do any better than my suggestion way back in post #10....pasting into a marquee selection.

That works fine for me but obviously not for you....maybe its your PS version.

Good luck.

Regards.
MrTom.

I'm uncertain if there could be a suitable script that could be created for it. The images may be of different sizes and you may have resize them to square off with one another.

But give my eyeball suggestion a try. Import a few animations into your new document, group each animation into individual sets so its easy to identify them, resize to a standard needed then manually do your planned animation.

Tedious but it's what can be thought of with short notice and lack of detail in what you want to achieve as your final animation.....

That won't work because not every frame starts in the same pixel. For example, a front view frame will be more or less fully centered while a walking-left frame starts with one leg (the one you hold the weight of your body with) almost touching the grid line. And then there are bigger and smaller characters.

Anyway. I've figured a solution. Actionscript to make chrome-greenish background layer for every file. That way Photoshop should copy the full grid. I'm afraid of losing/ruining semitransparent pixels for shadows and edges, tho. It's a solution for people working with 2d frames with no semitransparent pixels so I post it here for eternity.

For example, it may work with something like this:

https://33.media.tumblr.com/d2ff139c4ae2380f1f7efd0290995f68/tumblr_mqmz4vR6841sucaibo1_500.gif

but not with something like this:

http://static.tumblr.com/f00738e009...q/tumblr_static_8pqgmncgqa4ock08g4os44004.png

One has well defined non-transparent borders and the other doesn't

maybe its your PS version

CS6.

Don't worry. You did your best and I thank you for trying to help me. Still, dv8 and I already tried pasting it into a marquee selection (check post #14 and #18) but turns out that method isn't 100% pixel accurate. It may look accurate to the untrained eye.

Last edited: