What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto adjusting in Elements 6

efiste2

Scanning some older pics into my Pc for my family, and enhancing them with ELEMENTS 6, mainly a quick fix on AUTO mode, some of the pics get a rash of white pixels heres whats happening on some of the colour ones, Can I easily correct this, or prevent it happening. Im scanning them in at1200dpi saving as a BMP file, then enhancing them using AUTO mode....The picture in Jpeg file, is a corner of the actual photo but shows the white spot thing a little but nowhere near what the original full size BMP looks like.
Fred,Harry,Gwen,Sandra,Colin at some do reduced.jpg

MrToM

Guru
How are you acquiring the scanned image?

Ideally you should use PS from the start, acquire the image and save as a PSD file.

This will give you the best possible image to work with.

From there you can then adjust the image how you like and save out to the required format depending on what you want to do with it.

You didn't mention when the problem occurs but if its at the scanning stage then it may be a scanner problem.

I'm not familiar with the limitations of Elements so it may not be possible to do the above but in general you want to get the image into PS in as few moves as possible.....and preferably without saving as a BMP file.

Regards.
MrTom.

efiste2

Thanks for the expert advice Mr Tom I am using PS to import the pics @ 1200 dpi but saving them as a big BMP file for the best quality as I thought, then converting to Jpeg and saving to a NAS Cloud Drive so my fmaily and friend can see them...

Tom Mann

Guru
This is an extremely common problem. The white spots are from dust -- either on the print, or in the scanner. By far, the best way to fix the problem is to *carefully* brush off each print / negative before you scan it, as well as keeping your scanner covered when not in use, and periodically clean it thoroughly, inside and out.

OTOH, if you will be satisfied with a somewhat less than optimal solution, you can use the "Dust and Scratches" filter on a separate copy of the image (ie, its own layer), set to the "darken" layer blend mode. Here's a quick tutorial about how to do this:

https://books.google.com/books?id=7...tches filter photoshop darken lighten&f=false (go to the bottom of page 272).

Excluding the time it took me to turn on my computer, download your image, and upload the result, LOL, the actual time in PS was probably less than 15 seconds.

This process won't work this well on some images. YMMV.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• Fred_Harry_Gwen_Sandra_Colin_at_some_do_reduced-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_darken_D_and_S_filter.jpg
    Fred_Harry_Gwen_Sandra_Colin_at_some_do_reduced-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_darken_D_and_S_filter.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0