What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic_Influence

Hi There

When editing a video consisting of several clips in PS, I want to crop individual clips without having this applied to the whole video (by cropping I mean changing the image size, not changing the time length of the clips). To explain what I am trying to do: different clips of talking heads need different composition adjustments and they aren't all the same (in one clip there is too much space above the subject's head, in another it's about right, etc. How can I do this individually by clip (ideally while maintaining the same aspect ratio, at least, for all clips in the video? At the moment *even when they are loaded in different "video groups" cropping one clip crops them ALL...so for instance that clip where there is too much space above the head is fixed correctly, but the other clip that was okay to begin with now has the top of the head cut off.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Without seeing an example, my suggestions would be to use layer masking and free transform. I have also opened the clip/frame/layer in it's own document, edited it, and moved it back.

But I prefer making the layer a smart object so it can be edited/cropped without affecting the entire document.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi There

When editing a video consisting of several clips in PS, I want to crop individual clips without having this applied to the whole video (by cropping I mean changing the image size, not changing the time length of the clips). To explain what I am trying to do: different clips of talking heads need different composition adjustments and they aren't all the same (in one clip there is too much space above the subject's head, in another it's about right, etc. How can I do this individually by clip (ideally while maintaining the same aspect ratio, at least, for all clips in the video? At the moment *even when they are loaded in different "video groups" cropping one clip crops them ALL...so for instance that clip where there is too much space above the head is fixed correctly, but the other clip that was okay to begin with now has the top of the head cut off.

I can only assume what you're going after.....

You may need to rebuild the scene of certain clips to cover up bare empty areas using clone tool , content aware or simple copy paste in order to match the others.

But DON'T crop the work . Change the CANVAS size to what's needed. Doing this will enable you to fine tune the positioning of the clips or each clip in the scene. Once done to your liking then you use crop.

I would select a particular clip with a scene that's just right (ie. head in position relative to the scene) to use as a model or point of reference for which to follow in positioning the heads of the other clips in the scene. "Splice" in the other clips according to what you've planned if you haven't done it yet.

Link the layers of each clip segment so they can be moved/nudged into position, or if needed, resized via Transform together as one.

Position the heads in each clip to match the head position in the model scene clip. Or in whatever position or "choreography" you plan to do.

When completed to your liking, save the file as a psd so you have a complete copy for future use or edit. Press CTRL+A and proceed to crop the entire clip .

Status
Not open for further replies.