What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mothers days gift: fading text in Silhouette on the outer edges only. please help

Grisirwin

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Thank you for reading and helping.

I've never used photoshop until a few days ago and I'm a little lost and need some advice.

I am trying to making a Mother's day gift for my wife. We have 1 son that rules our lives now and I couldn't imagine life without him or my wife. So this means a lot to me and I want to make it, but I need some help since I've run into a wall.

The link below contains the image and file that I have been working on and trying to recreate. The JPG is what I want my TIFF file to look like. http://i.imgur.com/vSqvSZP.jpg

PROBLEM: I don't know how the text is faded on the edges of the silhouette. I tried using the gradient tool, but it fades the too much texts. I only want the text to be faded so the lyrics don't over power the silhouette on the edges.

What tool do I use to do blacken only the edges of the text? Any other ideas on how to make this look better? I am going to print this on a 24"x30" canvas so 1 inch around the entire picture will be lost. I will be submitting the tiff file make the large print and cannot use a pdf.

Also, I cannot add a period at the very end. It keeps making the period at the beginning of the sentence of the last line.

If you can help, please please reply.

Here is a link to all the files I have been working on and my progress thus far.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xjr8nef2onoh206/AADNDvINNbJ3ZsQV-NoFQv_Sa?dl=0

Grisirwin

The file is a huge Tiff file and I think you have to download it to view it. I downloaded it off the link and it worked on my end. Can you download the file?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I'm trying to download the files as a zip but it doesn't seem to be working for me.....

edit ...... I see why.... it's too large...LOL.... give me a minute.....

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
uhhhhhhh .... total of almost a gig!!!! I don't know about the other members but that'll eat considerably into my broadband quota..... :cheesygrin:.

Is there someway you can downsize the files and post a smaller sized jpeg in your next post? ... As a sample so we know how to help you with it.....

In the meantime, I'll work on something for you that could help.... but using my images for this.....

MrToM

Guru
...What tool do I use to do blacken only the edges of the text?...
You don't need a tool as such, more a technique. I assume you'll already have a marquee saved from when creating a path for the text so I would do this... 1. Create a new layer above your text. 2. Use that marquee and fill it with any colour you like...doesn't matter what as long as its solid. 3. Add an 'Inner Shadow' layer style to that layer....this will be your 'Gradient' over the text. 4. Use the 'Fill' slider either in the blending mode dialog box when you add the inner shadow or the 'Fill' slider at the top of the layers panel to completely remove the original pixels....this will reveal the text. 5. Adjust the 'Inner Shadow' parameters to taste. Regards. MrTom.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
omg, so sorry about the bandwidth limit. Let me see if I can save it in a smaller file.

No problem... take your time....

Here's something to help start you off. This was created in PS7 but will also work on later versions.

Not knowing what your image is, I used a silhouette for this. You may have to create one of your son in your image. We'll wait for your upload to see what we have to do for that....

Make sure to set your default foreground and background color.....

STEP 1 .....

This image shows the layers hierarchy - background layer 2 (your image) , layer 1 (silhouette of your son) and above it all, the text to superimpose into the silhouette.

S1.jpg

STEP 2....

Press CTRL and click the silhouette layer icon (layer1). This will select the silhouette on the layer as shown in the image with the "marching ants".

S2.jpg

STEP 3 .....

Click on the text layer to make it the active layer and click the Add Vector Mask icon at the bottom of the layer palette. Adding the mask will hide the outside areas of the text.

Press CTRL and click the layer mask thumbnail next to the text layer icon. This will re-select the silhouette in the mask.

S3.jpg

STEP 4 ....

Press CTRL+ALT+D to feather the selection. In the feather radius settings, I used 20. You may need a bigger ratio since your working on a large image. You'll need to experiment with it to get a look you like.

Afterwich , press CTRL+Shift+I to inverse the selection meaning it will select the outside areas of the silhouette as shown in Image 5.

S4.jpg S5.jpg

STEP 5 ....

Click on the layer mask icon to hilight it so it can be edited. To make sure it's selected, double click the mask icon and this will bring out the Layer Mask Display Options which indicates it is selected. Click cancel to close it.

S6.jpg

STEP 6 ....

Hit DELETE . Done on a layer mask, this will fill the inversed selected area with black which will "hide and fade" the text. The text in the layer is not deleted or affected. The mask simply hid it.

Hit delete a few more times to get the look you want. I hit delete about 5 times.....

S7.jpg

NOTE: I pressume your working on a large image. You may have to experiment with the feather selection to get it right.

press CTRL+D to de-select the marquee selection ants.

DONE......

S8.jpg

Grisirwin

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm going to give this a shot. I'll upload a final picture once I get it done. If I could give you a hug I would. Thanks again for your time guys.

MrToM

Guru
dv8_fx

Does your last post contain images?
I'm not seeing any if it does....

attachment.php

Another site glitch?

Regards.
MrTom.

Attachments

• no_images.png
    no_images.png
    232.7 KB · Views: 29

MrToM

Guru
I can't use this site any more.......I'm off.

Regards.
MrTom.

Grisirwin

One more question, how do I reduce the tiff file size without sacrificing the detail? I need to make it a 95mb file and it is currently over 500mb. I am trying to print it on a 24"x30" size canvas. Thanks again for all the advice.