What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I reveal hidden stuff from this image?

Beta

Hi, I've been following some puzzle hunts that someone posts, in these images he will hide hidden stuff that will lead you to the next part of the puzzle. Usually it is quite easy to extract QR codes from the images he puts out because they're on transparency layers, but in this case I have no idea.
There is hidden content in the image below but I have no idea how to reveal it. When I Posterize the image it brings out a faint pattern. So my question is, how do I reveal the rest of it and hide the original blue qrcode?
Normal:
G5WWGlz.png
When Posterised:
KLWL4qW.png

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
Welcome Beta

I have no clue what the game is all about yet did a little forensic investigation and within the colors on the screen there is tiny bit variations. This ocurs in both main colors. When amplifying the variations and combining them together you get the pattern below which is far from just a random occurrence. What it means I have not clue so please share what this means to the rest of the forum. That was hidden pretty well within the image.

You may need to save this PNG and expand to see the full image.

G5WWGlz revealed.png

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, my reader deciphered the code as:

rsea=q/}jraj0j/r0g)#/aR:c1Xx;pxg=,m8zwz(

Tom

Beta

Welcome Beta

I have no clue what the game is all about yet did a little forensic investigation and within the colors on the screen there is tiny bit variations. This ocurs in both main colors. When amplifying the variations and combining them together you get the pattern below which is far from just a random occurrence. What it means I have not clue so please share what this means to the rest of the forum. That was hidden pretty well within the image.

You may need to save this PNG and expand to see the full image.

View attachment 54943

This is part of a puzzle hunt by SeargeDP on twitter. Here is the reddit thread with most of the answers to what is hidden in the images. The prize is a game called "Thomas was Alone". I'm mainly interested in the puzzle though since I already own the game (Was just going to give the game key away). I wanted to know how to find what you found so if there's a hunt in the future, I'll know exactly what to do.

thebestcpu

Guru
Aha
With the link from dv8_fx and the blown up version of the image from my previous post (provided by chrisdesign), I realized that the pattern was a QR code minus the alignment structures. I inserted the alignment structures and used a QR reader and it says:

"That's far too simple, I said that before"

Here is the image with the alignment codes inserted and try it yourself:

Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 5.38.43 PM.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I managed to find out that the "Princess is in another castle"....but that was all.

There are essentially 8 different colours used in the original QR image....4 dark, 4 light.

If you separate each one out to its own layer, make them all black and white, you can then turn on and off different combinations of layers to get 'different' QR codes.

I also ended up with an 'Invert' adjustment layer on each of the 8 layers and also one for the whole lot.

It was getting far to complex for my tiny brain to handle but I did get several combinations that gave the same answer....."Nope - The princess is in another Castle".

I guess you'll just have to play around till you get the right combination.

the-princess-is-in-another-castle.png

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Beta

Sorry that I didn't reply earlier everyone, I posted but it said it needed to be approved by a moderator, I guess it didn't :/.

Anyway, unfortunately the puzzle was solved, it was solved by placing the QR code that was found by thebestcpu and the one found by MrTom ontop of the original one and inverting it apparently.
There's a full Reddit post showing the solution here.

MrToM

Guru
Thanks for posting the solution Beta very much appreciated.

Sorry we didn't work it out sooner for you.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
KUDOS to MrTom and the bestcpu. I'll also include Tom Mann as he also came up with the Plain code.

I knew someone here will figure it out one way or another.

Beta...... it was most unfortunate assistance came a bit later than expected. Maybe next time. At least you know some here may be able to help you.....