What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bitmap simple selection copy and pasting issue

Bet

Hi everyone, I'm currently having an issue for when i use the lasso, quick selection or the magic wand tool. when i select something and copy and paste to a new layer or just copy it, it selects too few pixels and it is quite annoying. some pictures are below for an easier time contemplating what I'm doing wrong. Thank you
s1DlgbY.png hxjgHy2.png (the second image is the selected and copied pixels. I want exactly all of the pixels selected, however many that i do select are faded? :banghead:

Tom Mann

Guru
The usual reason for this is because either the feather setting (if it is available for a particular tool) was not set to zero, or the anti-alias box was inadvertently checked.

Also, the "Quick Selection" tool has an "Autoenhance" option. If it is turned ON, you will get nicer hard edged selections, whereas, if it is turned OFF, you will get soft edged selections similar to what anti-aliasing or feathering would give you.

Finally, be sure that you are not doing any size scaling (either of the real object, or the selection) because doing so will then use an interpolation method that (more or less) will depend on what you set for the interpolation method preference in Edit/prefs/general. If that was set to anything but "Nearest Neighbor", you will get edges of varying degrees of softness.

Do any of the above situations / explanations sound like the problem you are experiencing?

Cheers,

Tom M

PS - BTW, the "more or less" aside in the 3rd paragraph was prompted by a long discussion we had on this forum a year or so ago about what actually controls the interpolation method, as there are several places where this can be set.

PS #2 - Also, FYI, there have been several interesting previous threads on partially selected pixels. Some of these (eg, "Getting rid of partially transparent pixels") may be of interest to you. To find these other discussions, just Google {edge pixels partially selected site:photoshopgurus.com}.

Bet

Yes! I had anti-alias box checked and i knew my fethering was turned to 0 already because ive had issues with feathering before. Ill be sure to read up on what autoenhance does and what it's effects are. Thank you for the resource Tom.
Came back just a little afterchecking my settings and ill continue to look for that is causing these issues but when only using the lasso tool it patially selects them when i make a new layer.

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Bet
Since you are working in close quarters in a bit map, just just the polygonal lasso tool with feathering turned off. That will give you a hard edge.
Hope this is helpful.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If the issue persists, sample the color, select the new (pasted) second image, and fill with the sampled color.

Tom Mann

Guru
...I'll continue to look for what is causing these issues, but when only using the lasso tool. It patially selects them when i make a new layer. ...

Humm.... very strange. I just double checked that I could get sharp edges using the (ordinary, not polygonal) lasso tool to place a selection on a new layer, and indeed, I could.

For example, in the image below (magnified to see individual pixels), I first generated #1 by making a hard-edged circular selection (ie, feathering OFF, anti-alias OFF) on a black layer and flood filling it with red.

Both_lasso_and_marquee_onto_new_layer_work_jpg-acr-ps01a-01.jpg

Next, I generated shape #2 by using the rectangular marquee tool (same settings) to select the upper RH part of the red circle. I then used cntrl-C, cntrl-V to place it on it's own layer and moved it over a bit so it can be seen. As expected, both the old outer edge, as well as the new straight line edges are all sharp.

Finally, I generated shape #3 by using the ordinary lasso tool (same settings) to once again select a slightly different region in upper RH part of the red circle. I then used cntrl-C, cntrl-V to place this region on it's own layer and then moved it a bit so it, too, can be seen. As expected, both the old outer edge, as well as the new funky / intentionally wobbly inner edge of this shape (ie, the result of the lasso tool) are all pixel-sharp.

So, basically, I think that what you are requesting works just fine on my machine.

My suggestion is that if you feel like you have beat this problem to death and still aren't getting anywhere, you might try using the old trick of resetting all Photoshop preferences as described here in this sticky thread from 2010:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...-reset-photoshop-preferences-windows-mac.html

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited: