What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Photoshop CC] Combine selections, vector masks, alpha channels

Theiamania

[Photoshop CC] Combine selections, vector masks, alpha channels

Hallo everybody,
I'd like to know how to combine (merge, subtract or intersect...) slections, but also vector masks and/or alpha channels. See attachment: want I want is (A+B).

I tried to use selection but I didn't it. I obtained a good result only to edit selection... (See A + B)
No way to merge/combine vetor layer and/or alpha channel. So, please help and use this simple attachment, if it helps.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Combine_Vector_alpha.psd
    786 KB · Views: 4
If I understand what you are looking for, my suggestion would be to first rasterize your vector mask (at the highest resolution you are likely to need) into an ordinary mask / alpha channel. Then, make copies of all of your masks in your normal layer stack. You may want to put them in a group/folder to keep them together. With them in this form, you can use the various blending modes on these layers to approximate Boolean operations on the masks.

For example, if you have two masks that are partially overlapping black and white circles on different layers, and if you set the upper layer to "darken" blend mode, the result will be the equivalent of the Boolean "AND" between the two selections. If you set the upper layer to "lighten" blend mode, the result will be the equivalent of the Boolean "OR" between the two selections. You can even get an "XOR" using the difference blend mode.

See attached animated GIF.

Boolean_operations_on_layer_masks-ps02b_for_GIF.gif

HTH,

Tom M

I'm not entirely sure what it is you want to do but if you want to make a marquee purely from using shortcuts and the masks then its not really possible...you'll have to manually remove some of the marquee by hand.

1. [Using Ctrl + Click mask thumbnail] make a marquee from layer B.
2. Invert the marquee.
3. XOR Layer A
4. Manually remove the marquee on the left....(leaving the dots on the right.)
5. Invert.
6. XOR Layer A again.

That will give you a marquee similar to Layer A+B.

Regards.
MrTom.

Great guy,
but sorry, before to go head with your example, I thing I've an issue with XOR... what do you mean exactly?
For example, when you said:
3. XOR Layer A
what do you mean, How make this operation?

Sorry, but I posted in the new-by section...:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ah, sorry.....my fault.

Using Ctrl + Click Mask Thumbnail will create a marquee based on the white pixels in the mask.

Using Ctrl + SHIFT will ADD to that marquee. (Cursor has a '+' symbol in the box)
Using Ctrl + ALT will SUBTRACT from that marquee. (Cursor has a '-' symbol in the box)
Using Ctrl + SHIFT + ALT is EXCLUSIVE (XOR). (Cursor has a 'x' symbol in the box)

Using any, all, or a combination of the above you can then click another mask thumbnail to add to, subtract from, or exclusively change the current marquee.

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT: Added (Silent) Video...

Last edited:

Back