What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I edit a picture exactly like this ?

Viewtiful

The effect really is just a simple red to transparent gradient fill.

I downloaded a free template (can't remember from where) which achieves a similar affect. You could edit it to achieve an even closer look.

Before;

Before.jpg

After;

After.jpg

Filter attached.

Attachments

• Gradient Filter.psd
    711.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

theo10

First of all, thank you so much for trying to help.:thumbsup:
Sadly though I am almost a complete newbie so I'm not sure how to apply a simple red to transparent gradient fill. I used the filter attached and obtained this :

Gradient Filter.jpg

I cannot figure out how to edit the filter or how to create one myself that would have a straight horizontal line which separates the complete red color in the upper part of the picture ( 100% opacity, unlike the filter attached ) from the yellowish picture (at least I know how to make a picture yellowish ).

What do I mean by straight line ? Well the filter given by you seems to have more red on the right side of the picture. I know, all those details, but I really want it to look as similar as possible.

Any kind of advice is appreciated :cheesygrin:

Tom Mann

Guru
OK, as an example, start with a picture of a brightly lit white house as the background (ie, starting, base, lowest) layer in Photoshop:

0-original.jpg

Duplicate the layer, and apply the Camera Raw tool with the following settings to reduce the contrast and reduce the saturation:

2B_nd_ACR_settings_to_lower_contrast_and_sat.jpg

The result will look something like this:

2z-result_of_ACR_adjustment_layer.jpg

Next, put a "levels" adjustment layer on top of the layers stack to add a overall color cast that is a slightly orange-ish yellow. Here are the adjustments needed:

3-blue_lvls_settings_to_make_yellow_highlights.jpg4-magenta_lvls_settings_to_add_some_reds.jpg5-overall_RGB_lvls_settings_to_darken_slightly.jpg

The net result of the previous ACR tweak and the levels adjustment is:

6-result_of_ACR_and_lvls.jpg

There are lots of ways to add such a color cast. The levels method is just one of them.

As the final step, we are going to add the orange band across the top. To do this we place an orange "Color Fill" layer on top of the layer stack, and then, to only have it work on the top of the image, put a layer mask like this on it:

7-mask_for_orange_top_of_image.jpg

The net result of all of the above steps is:

8-final_step-add_orange_band_across_top_of_image.jpg

...which compares reasonably well to the image you posted.

This may seem like a lot of tedious steps, but once you get used to working systematically, this way, it goes extremely fast. For example, it probably took me only about a minute or two to do all the photoshop work, but 15 minutes to get the screen shots and write up this post, LOL.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - If you want the PSD file so that you can work through the above steps, let me know and I'll put it on Dropbox. It's 9 Megs and too big to upload to the forum.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is my take on the image.

I borrowed Tom's image...
Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 9.25.50 PM.png

I then sampled the colors from the OP's example image and created a gradient using the gradient tool/editor.....
Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 9.26.08 PM.png

I duplicated the gradient layer and added a layer mask to both...
Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 9.30.22 PM.png

I then went back to the Gradient tool, set it to the foreground to transparent preset with black as my foreground color, and uncovered the "right" amount of color from both gradients.
I could also control the opacity of both gradients/layer masks.

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 9.35.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 9.35.28 PM.png

theo10

Thank you guys ! I did it.:thumbsup:

But for my own curiosity, can I have the PSD file too ?

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
OK, I sent it by WeTransfer.com. Let me know if you have any problem reading / understanding it.

Cheers,

Tom M