What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Circular cropping help

efiste2

Hopefully this is an easy one for you experts, I have a picture of a round badge, its background is yellow, how do I crop the badge, so the background disappears......and only the badge is left in the pic....I have got a little success with using the eliptical marquee tool, but I cant Crop the image...:redface:

Kings badge.jpg

MrToM

Guru
1. Place your circular marquee around the badge.
2. Add a Layer mask.
3. Ctrl + Click the MASK...(In the layers panel)...this will re-select the badge.
4. IMAGE > CROP
5. Pour a Large G&T....with ice and a slice of course.
6. Job done.

And no, you cannot crop to a circle, only a quadrangle.

Regards.
MrTom.

PS. Step 5 is mandatory.

efiste2

The circular image "Crops" to a white background, is there an option to change this to a black background, or even no background, as I need to incorporate the circular badge into a pictue as a circle.....555.jpg

MrToM

Guru
If you follow my instructions you'll get this...

badge_no_BG.png

No background.

Regards.
MrTom.

efiste2

I do appreciate you sticking with me on this, I have managed to get to the no background image, but when I save it, then introduce it into my editing program, it appears as this, with the cheuqered background......Apologies for my nievity 121.jpg

MrToM

Guru
You downloaded my image didn't you?
Naughty efiste2!

You have to do this yourself, not just use my image.

Follow the instructions I gave you and you will have the same thing...but transparent.

To be honest, you don't even need to do that...

1. Place the ORIGINAL image of the badge as you've done the other...make sure it is ABOVE the letter.
2. Make your circular marquee around the badge.
3. Add a layer mask.

If the image need re-sizing then use the transform tool...Ctrl + T (Use SHIFT and drag a corner to scale to size). Accept the transform. (The 'tick' at the top of the workspace.)

If you need to then move the badge use the 'Move' tool......the very first tool in the box. (Shortcut 'V')

Regards.
MrTom.

Hybrus

Sorry for interrupt you Mr.Tom
1) Open the image in Photoshop
2) Then Grab a Elliptical marquee tool
-while making the selection, you can hold "shift" to make a perfect circle, hold the "Space" for moving the marquee slection.
3)when you're done with your marquee selection you can press 'CTRL+J"
-that command will duplicate your current selected layer to your current marquee selection.
-make sure you selected the background layer in your layer panel before you press the command
4) notice you now had 2 layers on your layers panel, you can select the background layer or the very bottom one and hit delete.
5) notice your coin had a checkered background that means you have a transparent background
you can now save the image by pressing "Ctrl+Shift+S" that's a shortcut for Save As. then save the image at .PNG format. that would give you the ability to save in transparent background.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
....then save the image at .PNG format. that would give you the ability to save in transparent background.

This is the key. Whatever method you use, once you have the background removed, save the image as a .png file to preserve it's transparency.

efiste2

If its saved as a PNG, and I drag it into my document creator, which is a very basic (it has to be for me, as you have gathered by now) program....This is the result below. Then I can only save the document/picture as either a BMP or a Jpeg. Is this the issue......If so how do I create a Black background in PS and then drag the pictures onto it to create a similar result. Once again I really do appreciate your patience and willing, to deal with newbies like myself.!!

TEST Piece.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In Photoshop, if you have the badge isolated like this on it's own layer....
Photoshop_Badge.png

Add a new layer below it........
Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 4.23.39 PM.png

Fill this new layer with black......
Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 4.24.08 PM.png

Should look like this (without the watermark).....
Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 4.35.42 PM.png

Now 'save as' any file type you need.

Last edited:

Hybrus

haha. now with watermark.
hey efiste2 you just need to read and understand.

efiste2

Some total newbie advice needed again....:redface: How do I fill the layer black, then merge the two layers together...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Some total newbie advice needed again....:redface: How do I fill the layer black, then merge the two layers together...

Press D key on your keyboard. This will reset your foreground and background colors to black and white.
If the black square is on bottom, press the X key on your keyboard, this will reverse the order.
Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 2.39.27 PM.png

Next, choose your Paint bucket Tool.
Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 2.39.18 PM.png

Click once on the empty layer in your workspance/document (not on the layer in the layers panel) and this will fill layer with black.

As this should be in it's own document, there is no need to merge the layers together. Just save as whatever file you need..........jpg, .png, etc.