What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make sharp edges shape in photoshop

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, Sam - I read your post quickly and for a moment I thought you were saying the opposite.
@dv8_fx - If you look at the OP's screen grab, it appears that he is viewing at 33%, and from the thumbnails in the layer stack, it looks like his white square is about 1/3rd the size of the background (in linear dimensions). So, since 33% is a very reasonable magnification, stair-stepping after rotation should be almost invisible, and when I simulated it, that's what I saw. So, I think there is something else going on. That's why I asked for his PSD file. I bet some vital piece of info is getting lost along the way to us.

Tom

Tom, I think the OP's zoom is a bit higher.........unless I'm looking at the wrong one.

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 2.08.37 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is my shape zoomed to 200% using the same document dimensions and res.........

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 2.17.58 PM.png

Here is the OP's at the same zoom........
Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 2.20.10 PM.png

Not much difference.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting idea using 0 fill opacity percentage and a stroke in a layer style to make the thin border.

Problem is that this will have scaling issues...
Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 2.29.35 PM.png

It will work, you will just have to adjust the stroke size once it's made smaller...
Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 2.34.32 PM.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...Problem is that this will have scaling issues...It will work, you will just have to adjust the stroke size once it's made smaller...
If you convert the layer to a smart object the stroke will scale with the rest of it.

Should the OP need to, they can change the stroke by editing the smart object.

Win win.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Sam's trial run with the shape provided and MrTom's added advice should work for the OP as it answers his question of how to create the shape.

But with regards to his pixelation problem, he shouldn't be too concerned as he was viewing the object up close. Sam's zoomed view of his reproduction of the shape verifies it. And when used on the above image, came out quite nicely, didn't it?

Be it viewed at 33% or at 200%, the jaggedness will show. But at normal, actual pixel size view, it's perfect.

Just a thought........ It would be better for the OP to create the shape on a layer directly on the actual image he intends it for rather than on a separate large document which when dragged into the receiving image might cause it to deteriorate as he resizes it up or down to the size needed.

Hybrus

72 ppi or 72dpi is enough