What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

robertleblanc

Hi

I am new to this and the question is who to do this in photoshop? (see attach)
Any help would be great.

Regard

Robert

Attachments

• this.jpg
    this.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 22

Tom Mann

Guru
Can u give us some background on this pattern, eg, where did u first see it, are u sure it was made using PS, and wasn't done by, say, some mathematical algorithm or by hand?

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Also, just how accurately do u want it reproduced? What are the most important aspects of the pattern that u want to reproduce, ie, the shapes of the dots? The rather limited variation in the widths of the alleys between the "dots", etc.?

Do u know about standard methods for tiling patterns in PS? Have u considered making up some custom brushes in PS? Are u familiar with the customization options in commercial halftone generation software? Each of the above methods can produce patterns similar, but not identical to your example, so the question always comes back to which aspects are the most important to you.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Or, if you don't need to generate a completely new pattern from scratch each time, but you can accept quasi-random variations of the original, just use the liquify tool on it. I used the twirl option (multiple times) to get the effect you see below.

Tom M

random_dot_pattern01-tjm01-ps02-8bpc-698px_wide.gif

In Art, Illustration and Design this manual stippling technique is called Pointillism.
Whether I can draw something with PS I do not know, I had to try it once.
I hope this helps, perhaps you need to not only create patterns, but also drawings.
will_smith_pointillism_by_gabedesignz-d5urp8r.jpg 9052872138_0f1d030bab_b.jpg glasses__pointillism_by_clockinthesky-d3g22mt.jpg

Last edited:

robertleblanc

Can u give us some background on this pattern, eg, where did u first see it, are u sure it was made using PS, and wasn't done by, say, some mathematical algorithm or by hand?

Tom M

Hi Tom

Actually i do not know where it come from, but we use this kind of pattern graphic for steel etching. This is going to be print on a transparent film, and by a UV photo technic procedure it will be transpose to steel
prior chemical etching. The more precise, crisp, and uniform detail, will result in the best looking part.On the other hand small defect will also be on the finish part.

We have a 6 X 6 size on hand. But the final size will be 16 X 24 inch. The problem here is when i try to join , there is always apparent line at those joint.
So i was wondering if we could start from scratch.

Regard
Robert

robertleblanc

Also, just how accurately do u want it reproduced? What are the most important aspects of the pattern that u want to reproduce, ie, the shapes of the dots? The rather limited variation in the widths of the alleys between the "dots", etc.?

Do u know about standard methods for tiling patterns in PS? Have u considered making up some custom brushes in PS? Are u familiar with the customization options in commercial halftone generation software? Each of the above methods can produce patterns similar, but not identical to your example, so the question always comes back to which aspects are the most important to you.

Tom M

Hi Tom

how accurately do u want it reproduced? = It as to be a good look a like
the most important aspects of the pattern? = Shape of the dot (stone river shape small to medium size), spacing from one to another had to be equal, in a multiple circle chaotic direction.
Do u know about standard methods for tiling patterns in PS? = No but i will google it
Have u considered making up some custom brushes in PS? = Why not !
Are u familiar with the customization options in commercial halftone generation software? = No

My experience in pattern drawing is second to nothing.Sorry about that and i will understand your non respond to this thread.

Robert

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Robert - We are here to help people learn PS. Unless someone tells us that they want to learn how to turn a $1 bill into a $1000 bill, change the grades on their report card, or change the picture on their ID card, or some other dasterdly act, we'll always try to help people who stop by, so don't worry about not getting an answer.

I have a method to do what you requested that I think you will be very happy with. Unfortunately, I am extremely busy for the next two days, so I probably won't be able to put a tutorial together until late Friday or the weekend, but it will happen. Also, maybe in the interim, one of the other folks will jump in with their ideas.

Cheers,

Tom M