What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing Leopard Skin

spjarch

Hi Everyone, I am hoping someone can help.

I am using Photoshop Elements Editor 12 and want to be able to remove a leopard skin pattern dress colour and change it to a simple black or navy.

I attach a small extract of the pattern.

I want the image to look realistic, not a blank colour block. I have tried several techniques off You tube but they all leave the pattern just grey and black.

Is there a way to do this? and maintain all the shadow and shape etc?

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• Leopard Skin.jpg
    Leopard Skin.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 6

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is a good possibility that I have misunderstood you here, so if I have, disregard the following.

Let's say this is fabric of some kind. I assume this since you mentioned that it was a dress.

Take note that there seems to be a "furry" texture to the fabric. If you remove the Leopard spots, you'll have to replace it with the same color and texture of the adjacent fabric to the spot in order to maintain the proper color and shading (shape?).

In order to do this you'll have to use the Clone Stamp Tool. Here is a tutorial on the Elements 12 Clone Stamp Tool.

Take this spot for instance.
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 1.06.32 AM.png

If I simply make a selection of it, remove it or replace its color, this is what I'll have.
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 1.07.44 AM.png

But if I use the Clone Stamp Tool, then this is the result.
Notice that the colors and texture are both added to the replaced spot.
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 1.12.57 AM.png

You'll need to do this for each spot and then you can change the overall color of the furry fabric.

This would be a very long process.
Maybe someone else may have a much better idea.

Last edited:

spjarch

Thanks IanSam,

I did this and it took a while but I got a not too bad result.

I was able to recolour the fabric once I was rid of the spots.

Many thanks again

There is a good possibility that I have misunderstood you here, so if I have, disregard the following.

Let's say this is fabric of some kind. I assume this since you mentioned that it was a dress.

Take note that there seems to be a "furry" texture to the fabric. If you remove the Leopard spots, you'll have to replace it with the same color and texture of the adjacent fabric to the spot in order to maintain the proper color and shading (shape?).

In order to do this you'll have to use the Clone Stamp Tool. Here is a tutorial on the Elements 12 Clone Stamp Tool.

Take this spot for instance.
View attachment 55746

If I simply make a selection of it, remove it or replace its color, this is what I'll have.
View attachment 55747

But if I use the Clone Stamp Tool, then this is the result.
Notice that the colors and texture are both added to the replaced spot.
View attachment 55748

You'll need to do this for each spot and then you can change the overall color of the furry fabric.

This would be a very long process.
Maybe someone else may have a much better idea.

Paul

Former Member
You going to show us your results then?

spjarch

As requested, looks better in context. I did have issues getting even cloning on the fabric. zoomed in and worked individually on the spots. Tricky.

Thanks IanSam,

Clone.jpg
I did this and it took a while but I got a not too bad result.

I was able to recolour the fabric once I was rid of the spots.

Many thanks again

Paul

Former Member
Why not just go for a fur fabric image and then use that, your effort needs work on the cloning side of things but great effort so far.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with Paul here, you need to work on your cloning technique. Each spot requires that you clone from the surrounding texture and color in order to maintain the underlying shading of the fabric.

You example shows a lot of repetitive stamps. This means you just need some practice with the tool. Sample often.

Almost the entire image is filled with repetitive stamps so there was no preservation of the shading.
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 8.16.32 AM.png

MikeMc

McGuru
I clone on a blank layer.....always easier to redo if wrong

spjarch

Thanks all, I will have another try and re post. What size cloning spot do you use though? is smaller better?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I clone on a blank layer.....always easier to redo if wrong

Good observation, I look at that as a given, I forget to mention that.

This is my layers panel from my first post in this thread.
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 6.16.12 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
spjarch said:
.....here is an updated one where I went in a bit closer.
Now that's looking much better. There's still some repeated stamps but definitely an improvement!

Good job!