What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make this (attached Image )kind of pattern ?

balavalli

How to make this (attached Image )kind of pattern ? Actually i tried to do it with 5 px*5px transparent and with 300 resolution and draw a straight line using pencil tool and define it as a pattern and then apply it on an image.But some how am not getting the similar pattern am actually looking for like the attached image. Gurus any suggestions please ?

hw_to.jpg

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Well your method is right so it must be either the pattern itself or the way you are applying it.

You'll need a pattern like this but with transparency instead of white...

pattern_MT_01.png
This was 18x18px but as long as the proportions are right size doesn't matter...its a pattern.

Then use EDIT > FILL > Pattern on a new blank layer above your image...

Layers_Panel_MT_01.png

Then reduce that layers' opacity to taste...

image_MT_01.png

(This image has been reduced to fit the forum limits so will look slightly odd, but at full size its just as your example)

You could also apply a 'Colour Overlay' fx to that layer should you need a different colour to Black.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

balavalli

its looks like messed up due to the size limitation of the forum.But it worked absolutely fine and i used two lines instead of 3 lines

bav.jpg

MrToM

Guru
That pattern wont work as your, (or my), example as you need to start with Black and end with transparent but it will work....you'll just get a bigger 'gap' between each pair of lines.

Remember...a pattern is repeated, tiled, both vertically and horizontally.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another way would be to use the 'Pattern Overlay' in a layer style.

When I make vertical line patterns, I like to create my document that I will use as the pattern, with the spacing in mind.

For instance. This is a 3px x 1px document. I used the Pencil Tool to create the 1px black square.
So I have a 2px spacing to work with.

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 2.44.43 PM.png

This creates nice vertical lines.

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 2.43.06 PM.png

You can, of course, adjust the spacing in the pattern by using a different document size, like 5px x 1px with one black square.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I'm not sure I follow you there Sam.

I may be slow on the uptake here but how is that any different?

My pattern was just a copy of the OP's original.....and when it comes to vertical striped patterns the height is irrelevant.....likewise horizontal stripes....the width is irrelevant.

I may have missed something obvious but what makes yours any more 'adjustable' than the rest?

I'm not doubting you....I just don't see it....and knowing me its probably right in front of my bloodshot eyes!

Regards.
MrSloW.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Me said:
You can, of course, adjust the spacing in the pattern by using a different document size, like 5px x 1px with one black square.

These are the lines using a 4 pixel x 1 pixel pattern that has a 1 pixel black square, thus leaving a 3 pixel space.
Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 4.53.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 4.18.14 PM.png

These are the same exact lines using a 4 pixel x 1 pixel pattern that has a 2 pixel black square, thus leaving a 2 pixel space.
Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 4.53.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 4.17.29 PM.png

Both of these patterns have the same settings using a layer style.
Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 4.56.56 PM.png

When you adjust the scale on any given pattern, the spacing remains the same.

The spacing can only be adjusted in the creation of the pattern.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I may have missed something obvious but what makes yours any more 'adjustable' than the rest?

I'm NOT challenging your help and instruction and my observation is certainly not any better. I'm just adding to the conversation as I once noted long ago that the spacing of vertical and horizontal lines would impact their appearance as they were scaled down. The wider the line and the less spacing you have between the repeating pattern, the darker the image becomes.

.....and when it comes to vertical striped patterns the height is irrelevant.....likewise horizontal stripes....the width is irrelevant.

EXACTLY! That's why I only use a height of 1 pixel when creating vertical lines, however, you still have to create space between the lines.........for horizontal lines, as you stated, width is irrelevant! That's why I would make my document for my horizontal lines, 4 pixels in height and 1 pixel in width.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...my observation is certainly not any better...
I think it is.....now that I see the difference!

It wasn't obvious to me that you'd used a "Pattern Overlay" style, rather than just filling a layer like I did.

Your way does indeed give you more control over the 'scale' of the pattern.....so, I think that's much better.

For some reason I had it in my head that an overlay style didn't do transparency but of course it does....DOH!

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think it is.....now that I see the difference!

It wasn't obvious to me that you'd used a "Pattern Overlay" style, rather than just filling a layer like I did.
I apologize! That would be my fault for not mentioning that in my first post!!