What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Object Help?

MrToM

Guru
Well I've followed the second tutorial you posted and although its not written very well it does work as expected.

I can only think that your error is in keeping the layers in 'Frame Animation' mode when you apply the smart filter.

Applied in 'Timeline' mode and saved out to a GIF via 'Save For Web...' works just fine.....if you go back to 'Frame Animation' you'll get a warning about Smart Filters and the playing of frames....basically you can't.

Once you've done your editing, switch to 'Timeline' mode, select all the layers and then convert for smart filters.

Add your filter and leave it at that.

You can still edit the frames as Sam has already pointed out but remember to save the psb by either closing the document (You be asked if you want to save it), or by using FILE > Save (This will keep the .psb document open but will update the smart object)

Regards.
MrToM.

furigaeru

MrToM: Is it the option where you click on Layers > Animation Options > and then it shows you Automatic, Always Show and Always Hide?

Because I usually keep it on Automatic; should it be off? Also, I don't understand what you mean. If its possible, do you think you could write it out step by step? You could probably explain it a lot better than the tut I followed haha.

MrToM

Guru
No worries...

You are almost there I think, its that tutorial that's not making it clear what to do...

Its important to have your animation, (less filters), finished, ready and working BEFORE applying any Smart Filters.

So...from a point of having all your layers and frames creating an animation you now want to add 'a' filter to all the frames.

If you look at the 'Timeline' window (Which will currently be in 'Frame Animation' mode) you should find somewhere a small icon that will toggle to 'Timeline' mode.

For CC 2014 this is bottom left of that window.

timeline_mode_MT_01.png

Then use SELECT > Select All Layers...
Then use FILTER > Convert for Smart filters...

You'll get this warning dialog...

MUNGO-2015-05-25-[4].png

Click OK.

Now you can Add any filter you like and it will affect all the layers in the smart object.

From here you then need to save out your gif animation using 'Save For Web...' and the preset 'gif' from the dropdown list.

You can preview your animation in this dialog but it will play FASTER than it will when saved....so don't change it thinking its wrong....it isn't.

Thats it.

I would advise saving the original PSD file too just in case you need to edit it later.

Dont be afraid to ask again if you are still unsure.

Regards.
MrToM.

furigaeru

MrToM: Another question.

I use CS6 and there's never really a way to toggle it, unless I'm missing something. Can you guide me through that as well?

MrToM

Guru
Its actually in the same place...

timeline_mode_MT_02.png

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, got called out for awhile. Thanks for stepping in MrToM.

I haven't gone over the second tutorial yet but I'm going to take a look at it.

MrToM

Guru
...If you have an image that's already a gif would it be considered a timeline animation as is?...
If its an 'Animated' gif yes.

Thats what I've been using as an example.....just an animated 'gif' Avatar.

Once you open it in PS open the 'Timeline' window and all the frames (and associated layers) will be there.

Regards.
MrToM.

furigaeru

MrToM: Do you save it as a gif AFTER converting it to a smart object and applying your filters?

Also when I open my gifs to edit them, it doesnt ask if i want to toggle that frame animation thing on the timeline window. Should I be worried?

MrToM

Guru
...Do you save it as a gif AFTER converting it to a smart object and applying your filters?...
Yes.

...Also when I open my gifs to edit them, it doesnt ask if i want to toggle that frame animation thing on the timeline window. Should I be worried?...
No.

Nothing will ask you to toggle anything....that decision is yours.

If you follow my instructions you'll notice they are in order....saving is LAST on the list.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I keep getting distracted! LOL!! Dang phone.

furigaeru@ I would love to see some of your HQ gifs.

I have just finished another cinemagraph from The Minority Report.