What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Object Help?

furigaeru

Hi all.

I'm having a bit of trouble using smart objects to implement filters on multiple layers. I can select all the layers, convert it to a smart object and then apply the filters easily but then when I click on the icon twice to restore my layers, it looks as though the effects I implemented disappeared.

I only use smart objects when I'm trying to make a gif look better so that I don't have to click on every frame and then apply the filter, but this is quite frustrating. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone help?

Thank you in advance if you do respond :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If the filter was applied to the smart object, it won't show up when you double click the SO, only the layers and any effects applied to them individually before (or after an SO edit) you turned them into a SO.

You can open the SO, turn any layers within the SO into a SO themselves, apply changes/filters........then save.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If your still not following, double click your SO to open the .psb

Now go back to the original document and you will see that the filter(s) are still there on the SO. They were applied to the SO and not the individual layers before you turned them into an SO.

Last edited:

furigaeru

Sam: No I follow; your response was actually quite helpful.

Is there an easier way to apply my filters to each layer if converting all the layers at once to a smart object won't work?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, yes. You can convert the layers into SO's and apply the filters and then convert them all into one smart object............or.............just apply the filters to the layers before you convert them to a SO.

furigaeru

Sam: I tried that before but when I selected all my layers and went to filters to apply what I needed, everything was greyed out.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Describe exactly what your doing or what you want to do.

furigaeru

Sam: I'm trying to make HQ Gifs since usually when you make a gif, even if its in hd quality, it doesn't look to appealing to the eyes.

i looked up tutorials on google and there were a lot on tumblr. they all said to convert all your layers by selecting them and then creating a smart object out of them. it then said to apply smart sharpen using certain settings then to double click on the SO thumbnail twice on your SO. But when I did that, the filters disappeared.

I hope I was specific enough :S

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Select the layers, right click and select "convert to smart object".

Then with the new SO layer highlighted/selected, choose the smart sharpen and apply.

If the filter was applied to the smart object, it won't show up when you double click the SO, only the layers and any effects applied to them individually before (or after an SO edit) you turned them into a SO.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, I have 3 layers.......

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 5.50.42 PM.png

I select them and turn them into a smart object.
Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 5.50.53 PM.png

I apply a filter to the smart object......(gaussian blur)..
Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 5.51.12 PM.png

This filter is applied to the smart object only and not to the 3 layers I used to create it.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So, if I double click the smart object layer with the filter.........

this is what I get in the .psb........

the original 3 layers.....
Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 5.54.21 PM.png

The filter is still intact on the original document, attached to the smart object that we are now editing.

Last edited:

furigaeru

IamSam: so its still a smart object even when you're editing it, you just have to convert it back to one once you've finished editing it and everything is still there, including the filters made?

that makes sense, but ive noticed something else when ive converted my gifs to a smart object. when i look at the frames in the timeline, i cant see them. if i converted the image back to a smart object, would the frames be visible in the timeline or is there a certain method you have to take in order to see them? or does it just not matter lol?

thank you for your help so far; i really appreciate it :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
so its still a smart object even when you're editing it, you just have to convert it back to one once you've finished editing it and everything is still there, including the filters made?
Once you enter the .psb to edit, just save the .psb after you make changes, it will still be a smart object. No need to convert again.

By double clicking a smart object, you open a new document or a .psb. When your done editing, just close the document and save.

If you have saved the frames as a smart object, then you will have to open the .psb in order to see them.

Do you have a link to this tutorial?

MrToM

Guru
Sam...

I don't know if its the same for everyone but for me your images are not showing.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm curious, there's no mention of smart objects in this tutorial. I'm more interested in how your applying smart objects.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, PSG is acting really strange this afternoon. It's doing some weird stuff. Most of furigaeru's posts have been moderated.