What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unsure of layer type

lbdrew

I can't figure out what the symbol on the lower right of these layers is - are they setup as a certain type of layer? How do I re-create this? Thank you!

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 6.02.45 PM.png

MrToM

Guru
I was watching................I waited until you typed........Regar----
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
The strange thing is, if I hadn't swapped back to PS to quickly check that a 'Path' didn't do the same thing I'd have been seconds before you......too close mate...too close.

Your post did indeed pop up around "Regar.."....I need a beer.

Respect.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
LOL!!! It's my spy Penguins!

edit: I checked the same thing! That's why I added (set to shape) in my post!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
However, I did discover that the Pen Tool, set to path, will create shapes when used on a shape layer. Did not know that!

MrToM

Guru
Yep.....a closed 'path' becomes a shape.....likewise you can have an 'open' shape which becomes a path......which we've used before for stroking instead of with the brush or pencil....its popped up a couple of times that I can remember.

PS just keeps on giving doesn't it?

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It makes sense, I had just never encountered it before. If it's been discussed, it must have been on days when I've been in my special room.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think we lost our OP....................ibdrew..........are you there?

MrToM

Guru

lbdrew

I think we lost our OP....................ibdrew..........are you there?

I'm here!

So here's my problem.. I'm re-designing a DVD menu for encore in PS and it seems that when the layers aren't setup the same way that they were in the initial template the buttons don't activate like they should once the DVD is burned and in the player. I'm starting from scratch and trying to make sure I have no setup changes in my menu from the template. This is one thing I can't seem to figure out. I want to change my next and back buttons to arrows. I created a new layer and added the arrow shape to the layer but it doesn't automatically turn it into a shape layer... I actually haven't been able to get a "shape layer" no matter what I've tried so far.

The layers that are shape layers are the originals - "layer 1" is my new layer with the arrow on it.

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 10.00.19 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 10.00.14 AM.png

MrToM

Guru
My guess is you have the tool set to 'Pixels' instead of 'Shape'...

shape_error_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.