What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy sunglass reflection to other eye and clean up.

MrToM

Guru
LOL.....no worries.

Another 'Tom' eh?

I have to confess though, I'm not really a 'Tom'....just 'MrToM'.....as in a nickname....the 'Mr' part isn't meant as any respectful gesture its just part of the whole name.

Anyway...enough flannel.

I did contemplate a video but thought I'd throw an image at you first to see how you get on.

I can always do a video if you need it.

Thre are probably better easier ways but to be honest just learning how to use the tool is more important than how to trace over an image.

I agree that its probably one of the most difficult tools to use on even a basic level, not helped by the vast number of keyboard shortcuts that keep changing the tool in the blink of an eye....that can get extremely confusing.

Anyway, see how you get on.

Regards.
MrToM.

tdpol

Awesome guys ... here's a before and after - thanks to the Tom's - one more question .. how do I will the masking area to make only the items appear in the box in large?

before.JPGafter.JPG
Make this
area.JPG
Look like this:
mask-area.png

MrToM

Guru
Here ya go...

thumbnail_content_MT_01.png

Just click the 'Menu' button (#1) top right, (almost hidden in the image), then select the 'Panel Options' from the dropdown, then check 'Entire Document' instead of 'Layer Bounds'....(#2)

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT:
LOL....or it could be the other way round.....whatever, that's where you change it.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
tdpol - Hey, Tom - The more Toms the merrier. :) By any chance, are you left-handed, as well?

WRT your statement: "...Actually, it just came to me to grab someone else's glasses reflection (online or from Oakley directly) and use the same technique here and put that on first with the umbrella masked on top..." , you should pay attention if you plan to use even part of an image made by someone else because they are almost certainly the copyright holder and may or may not appreciate someone using their IP. This is especially true with big companies that have large advertising budgets and don't want others, particularly, potential competitors to make use of their creative work. The safest route (if your creations are going to be publicly distributed) is to use one of the many stock photography vendors, and usually for a very modest sum, you can legally license some one else's photo.

Also, one technical comment about the replacement of a reflection with another. The two lenses are not flat, and they are rarely exactly parallel. This is precisely why you don't see the image of your umbrella in both lenses in the very first photo you posted. The reflection of the umbrella in the (viewers') right lens is shifted all the way towards the nose piece in your photo. If you put a "new" umbrella in that lens and it's too far to the (viewers') right, it will make the subject look more than a bit crazy-eyed, LOL. This is almost certainly the reason that in the example photo that you posted (the girl with sunglasses), the position of the umbrella is all the way to the (viewers') right in the (viewers') left lens, and all the way to the left in the other lens.

Just a couple more things to think about.

Cheers,

Tom M

tdpol

Thanks for that piece of information Tom. No I am not left-handed I am right-handed but thanks for asking.

As for the umbrella picture that I posted of the girl, are you saying there were two umbrellas in that photo or the angle of the photo was just much different than mine? From what I can tell in the blog that I was trying to copy that photo from it look like there was one umbrella but the angle of the subject may have been different than where I was standing. Or are you also suggesting that could've been Photoshop it and there was really only one umbrella? Just trying to figure that little rockstar umbrella photo out myself.

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm quite sure there was only 1 umbrella. They almost certainly 'shopped the (viewers') right reflection in, and there's a good chance they shoved the left reflection a bit closer to the nosepiece, but I could be wrong about this.

T

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - 2 umbrellas, even right next to one-another will make distinctive double shadows (which I don't see).

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awesome guys ... here's a before and after - thanks to the Tom's -
Yeah, could not have done it without those Toms. I guess the Sam's are chopped liver, LOL!!! :rofl:

MrToM

Guru
...Awesome guys ... here's a before and after - thanks to the Tom's...
You should thank Sam, not me.

I only offered an alternative to an already excellent solution from Sam.

Regards.
MrToM.

Tom Mann

Guru
All I did was sit back in my arm chair and hold forth, as if I knew something, whereas Sam (and MrToM) did all the hard work and made up their beautiful tutorials.

We're all friends here. ::GroupHug:: :rofl:

Best,

Tom M