What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color blending

Kashim

Hi. I'm looking for a way to get rid of the black area in the upper right corner of the image below. What would be a good way to blend and extend the light brown color behind the spider all the way to the upper right corner? I just want the black area removed or made less noticeable, without altering anything else in the image. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DSC_2413_jumper_small.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Use the Brush Tool on a new layer. Set your flow down to about 1% to 10%.

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 2.34.03 PM.png

Tom Mann

Guru
Kashim - For what it's worth, although Sam did a great job, I greatly prefer the unmodified version. The reason is that the dark area in the upper RH corner provides a "horizon" -- it gives the viewer a sense of perspective and it also prevents the viewer's concentration from wandering out of the frame.

Tom M

@Kashim - For what it's worth, although Sam did a great job, I greatly prefer the unmodified version. The reason is that the dark area in the upper RH corner provides a "horizon" -- it gives the viewer a sense of perspective and it also prevents the viewer's concentration from wandering out of the frame.

Tom M

I agree with Tom, regarding perspective. Rather than washing the whole corner out into a uniform tan, I would use a soft brush and paint in a gradient that gradually darkened but did not go completely black. You'll still have your perspective, but without the high contrast.

Kashim

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. After some consideration I decided to leave the black area of the image alone. I normally take great care when photographing spiders to avoid black areas like that (where the light from my flash can't reach), but this particular spider wasn't the most cooperative and I only had a two second window to take the shot. Overall, I'm glad I took the shot even with the black area showing behind the spider. Anyway, thanks again for the help.