What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get this affect?

dadobu

How to get this affect in PS (CS6)? Any one know the process or link to video that shows the way?
Many tanks.

Attachments

• Jimi_Hendrix_2_by_mojoantman.jpg
    Jimi_Hendrix_2_by_mojoantman.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
Try this.
Jimmy Hendrix Screenshot.jpg

Jimmy Hendrix bevor.jpg
from this image...

Jimmy Hendrix after.jpg
you'll get this result.

Sorry about german Photoshop version in the screenshot.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chris, thanks for helping out. Can you at least translate the German Photoshop images into English by writing what's being displayed?

I don't seem to have this same filter you're showing.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nope, I don't have that and I'm using CS6. Oh well.

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi dadobu

This image looks like a custom posterization which can be done pretty straighforward.

I started with the image on Chrisdesign's post

- Blur by ~1 pixel in a Smart Object (so you can adjust later)
- Add a single curves adjustment Layer and using the pencil tool create a stairstep curve as show in the image below with the result
- Done

I am sure it could be done more accurately or in other ways yet this is one way.

John Wheeler

Custom Posterization.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Nope, I don't have that and I'm using CS6. Oh well.

I believe the equivalent filter in CS6, CC, CC2014, etc is

Filters > Artistic > Cutout

If Artistic is not showing you can go to Plugins in Preferences and check the box "Show All Filter Gallery Groups and Names"
Got lost in translation.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Sam
I just read thebestcpu's post, and I think the filter is called "Posterization".

The effect is Posterization yet I did not use the Posterization Adjustment Layer.
I just used a custom Curves Adjustment Layer where I did the posterization making a stair step "curve" which is the same as posterization except you control exactly where the stair steps break both in input tone and output tone.

dadobu

Thanks all of you guys (chrisdesign,thebestcpu). I tryed both of your "techniques", and it worked fine. Thank you again.