What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red eye removal

Kashim

When I photograph certain species of spiders sometimes there's a weird reflection in one or both eyes. I guess it's the equivalent of "red eye" in humans. I tried using the Red Eye tool on the image below and it works ok, but it's not perfect. Is there a better way to remove that distracting red reflection from the eye?

spider_eyes.jpg

bijutoha14

Banned
I think you can use other healing tools like patch tool, healing brush tool. You must need a creative action to remove perfectly.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Kashim, the image you've provided is far too small for us to see the anomaly. It's hard to offer an accurate solution for a problem without a proper example.

Rich54

Guru
I’m afraid of spiders, and apparently I’m also afraid of photographs of spiders. I get nervous just looking at this.

Kashim

Kashim, the image you've provided is far too small for us to see the anomaly. It's hard to offer an accurate solution for a problem without a proper example.

I'm not sure why you need the whole image when I'm only concerned with the eyes. You can clearly see that the right eye has a different color due to a partial "red eye" type reflection from the flash. But anyway, here's the full image.

spider_eyes_large.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not sure why you need the whole image when I'm only concerned with the eyes.

I didn't ask for the whole image! I just stated that the image you provided was too small and that we could not make out the anomaly.

You jumped to a conclusion that clearly was not implied.

Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 8.42.50 AM.png

MikeMc

McGuru
When I photograph certain species of spiders sometimes there's a weird reflection in one or both eyes. I guess it's the equivalent of "red eye" in humans. I tried using the Red Eye tool on the image below and it works ok, but it's not perfect. Is there a better way to remove that distracting red reflection from the eye?

View attachment 56224

Since your shooting My first thought is to not get that effect if its caused by lighting. I know that simply moving the angle between my lighting source(s) and lens axis will eliminate most red eye. Are you using macro and ringlight or a separate softbox setup ?

As far as the image above, mask and recolor to fit your needs.

Kashim

I didn't ask for the whole image! I just stated that the image you provided was too small and that we could not make out the anomaly.

You jumped to a conclusion that clearly was not implied.

My apologies if my previous reply sounded rude. That was not my intention. I do appreciate whatever help I get on these forums.

Since your shooting My first thought is to not get that effect if its caused by lighting. I know that simply moving the angle between my lighting source(s) and lens axis will eliminate most red eye. Are you using macro and ringlight or a separate softbox setup ?

You're right, the red eye effect is dependent on the angle between the light source and the subject, so it doesn't appear in all the images. It's hard to tell which angle will cause it though. Sometimes I'll just get it slightly in one eye (like in the image I posted) and changing the angle just by a couple of degrees will either eliminate it completely or make it even worse. I know what you're getting at though, but sometimes my best shots will have the stupid red eye thing. I'm using a home made softbox with a Nikon SB-R 200 wireless flash and it's basically attached to the end of my lens.

Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
are you using any white or silver reflectors off to the sides? If you can get a larger area of fill coverage you will most likely solve that

Kashim

As far as the image above, mask and recolor to fit your needs.

I realize what needs to be done, but the problem is that I don't quite know how to do that in Photoshop. Do you know any tutorials or guides that deal with something similar? Thanks in advance.

are you using any white or silver reflectors off to the sides? If you can get a larger area of fill coverage you will most likely solve that

I'm not using any reflectors at all, just a home made softbox mounted to the end of my lens. The front surface of the softbox is curved though, could the be causing these ugly reflections? The front surface is 8x6" and at the center it protrudes 1" due to the curvature.

Last edited: