What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to "un-erase"? (pasting myself into a photo)

iXod

Working with CS5 PS on Mac.

I’m pasting myself into the background of a photo.
• selected and copied my image from photo #2
• created new layer in photo #1
• pasted my image into new layer
• selected layer with my image
• used Eraser tool to erase parts of me (!) so as to fit among images of other people

This works except that as you know the Erase tool will expose places you don’t want erased.

Can I use a key combination held down while “un-erasing” some of these areas? "Undo" is too crude; need finer control over erasing and un-erasing.

Or a simpler way to do this? Simplicity is king; it doesn't have to be professional quality...

Thanks,
iX

CS5 PS
OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks
Mac mini (2011_5,2): 2.7 GHz Intel dual i7 / 16 GB / 250 GB & 750 GB

MrToM

Guru
First off, thank-you very much for stating your PS version and OS....it makes for a much better solution.

Second, instead of using the 'Eraser' tool apply a 'Layer mask' to the layer.....you'll find the 'Add Layer Mask' icon at the bottom of the 'Layers' panel.

Then, where you want to 'Hide' pixels on that layer paint in Black.
Where you want to 'Show' pixels on that layer paint in White.

If you want to add transparency then use a 'greyscale' value between Black and White.

Hiding and Showing pixels is Non-Destructive, meaning the pixels 'visibility' is changed rather than removing it completely.

'Masking' is the standard technique used for this kind of situation.

Regards.
MrToM.

Paul

Former Member
Depends on the images created, some need erasing from history never mind your desk top.:rofl: