What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Equal fading on both side of the picture

AssafMalki

Hey,

I have a picture and I want it to equally fade out on both sides.

I want to use a mask and the gradient tool but I couldn't find how to do equally white-black-white so it would be symmetric.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Add some guides to your image.

Use the Foreground to transparent gradient preset.

Use the Gradient Tool to pull a gradient on both sides from the edge to the center.

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 12.57.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 12.57.49 PM.png

AssafMalki

Hey,

Thanks for the help,

How did you created that mask?

I do the right side and it's OK but when I do the left side, what I did on the right side is gone

And another thing, shouldn't I do white to black on the mask?

Thanks

MrToM

Guru
...I do the right side and it's OK but when I do the left side, what I did on the right side is gone...
As an alternative to doing 2 gradients from either end just create a Black - White - Black gradient...then you'll only need to fill from left to right and get the same effect in one go.

There is already a Black to White gradient as a standard preset so you only have to add Black to the right hand side and you're done.

Many many ways to, erm......skin a cat.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey,

Thanks for the help,

How did you created that mask?

I do the right side and it's OK but when I do the left side, what I did on the right side is gone

And another thing, shouldn't I do white to black on the mask?

Thanks
Use the FOREGROUND TO TRANSPARENT preset.

Tom Mann

Guru
Also, don't forget that once you have a black-white-black mask, and you don't quite like the way it chews so much out of the center, just apply a curves or levels adjustment to the mask and you then can easily adjust the center opacity for your specific use.

Tom M