What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about replacing colors and stuff

rambomhtri

I have worked with these fonts before so I knew they were already in Ps. But if I didn't know what they were, I would use 'What the Font'.

Well, When I placed them against the trace layer, I would have just played with their size until I got it fairly close.........however, since I had already created them in the first image I posted for you, I just used those values in the video. I cheated. Great question though!

Wow, that's incredible. You should definitely create some Guiness record like "I can see a font and tell you which one it is"
:p

And that has sense, of course, you worked on that before and you knew all that info. While I was watching the video, I was like "Wow, this guy can't be that good that he can see a font and can determine all that data".

Anyway, what can I do to the orange background to make it more similar to the original?
I've been messing around the noise filter, but I can't make it any better. The original effect seems to be like an old film efect, with all those scratches and black dots.

Thanks you again!

PD: MrToM, I have some questions about what we've been talking about (color profiles...). I'll post them here later on.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Anyway, what can I do to the orange background to make it more similar to the original?
I've been messing around the noise filter, but I can't make it any better. The original effect seems to be like an old film efect, with all those scratches and black dots.

Watch this video: http://phlearn.com/create-snow-photoshop

Learn how to make the snow brush. Don't worry, it will work with black.

In your layers panel, turn off the noise layer.
Create a new layer above it and call it the 'New Texture layer'.

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 8.51.19 AM.png

Use your new 'scatter' (snow) brush to add it the stippling.
You can make it any size you want.
Lower the layers opacity.

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 8.52.45 AM.png

rambomhtri

Thank you. The main problem I have with the orange background is:

1. Dots should be a little bit bigger.
2. Dots should be black, or almost black, not orange as I did it.
3. There shouldn't be that much dots.

I'm working on it, let's see how I do it. I'm gonna change the Main layer copy too, cause I messed up a little bit his neck and I cut his right ear.

Last edited:

revnart

Power User
I'm pulling this from my head so sorry for lack of details:

To create bigger noise, darker and less of them create new layer above orange one but under the face.
Fill it with white and then add noise filter to that layer.
When you will be ready transform that layer, to be exact press Ctrl/Cmd+T and then scale up that layer and accept changes.
Next use levels Ctrl+L to adjust how much of them you will see and how dark they will be.
Last step is to change blendmode of your noise layer to multiply and that's it :)
When I get home I can make screenshots and post them step by step if you want :)

rambomhtri

I'm pulling this from my head so sorry for lack of details:

To create bigger noise, darker and less of them create new layer above orange one but under the face.
Fill it with white and then add noise filter to that layer.
When you will be ready transform that layer, to be exact press Ctrl/Cmd+T and then scale up that layer and accept changes.
Next use levels Ctrl+L to adjust how much of them you will see and how dark they will be.
Last step is to change blendmode of your noise layer to multiply and that's it :)
When I get home I can make screenshots and post them step by step if you want :)

Yes please. I've been thinking that "Add noise" may be is not the best effect to use here, cause I've noticed that it does not simply add dots, but also darkens the orange.

Last edited:

revnart

Power User
Check this one, it should be seamless, but its hard to test on phone.

Set to multiply over the orange layer.

uploadfromtaptalk1434644519597.jpeg

Tom Mann

Guru
To add random black flecks to your image, an alternate to using an existing seamless texture is to use the old reliable technique for making randomly spaced stars in the night sky, but then invert the stars from white dots to black dots, and change the blending mode from screen (ie, which brightens) to multiply (ie, which darkens).

A good tutorial on the standard technique for making stars is here:
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/starry-sky/

The only shortcoming of this technique is that as described in that tutorial, it will only make very small stars that are almost identically shaped. However, this is easy to change: just increase the radius of the Gaussian blur used from under a pixel to several pixels, and then adjust the sliders in the "levels" layer to get a density and softness of the black flecks that is appropriate for your image.

HTH,

Tom M

rambomhtri

All right, I just found what I was looking for, Sam!
:idea:

In the Main Layer, all the edges of the man in the photo were reflecting softly the original yellow-grey background, and it was kind of annoying for me.

But I just solved it!
What I did is when we had the "Main layer copy" layer, I added above it a black and white layer. But the problem was this B&W layer was removing all the colors from all the layers below it. I merged it down by chance and then the B&W layer only affected the "Main layer copy" layer.

I'm working on the background, see if I can improve it to make it look more like the original style of background.

Beethoven Symphony No. 3.png

Last edited:

rambomhtri

1.png

I think I've more or less learned to match the background, but in reverse. I've achieved a black background with orange dots like the image shows. I need exactly the opposite, xD, but I don't know how to do it. I've been moving the white and black arrows in the "Level" layer, but what I was getting was the orange BG with yellow dots, not black dots.

OK, another problem here. I've noticed that those 2 layers above the BG orange layer darkens the background a lot, making that orange a lot darker. I want to make a transparent layer only with black dots.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, I'm not understanding what the problem is here. If you followed what I posted in post #42, you would have your results.

Let's take a close look at the original image........
Screen Shot 2015-06-21 at 11.40.47 PM.png

There are very few actual BLACK dots in this image. The rest are very faded grey dots.

If you follow what I posted in post #42, you can get the same EXACT results.
Remember, the orange color will have some affect on the dots..........they will look a little different.
The black dots ARE on a separate transparent layer.....

Me from post #42 said:
Create a new layer above it and call it the 'New Texture layer'.
One thing I did do different on the image below is that I created the first dot layer (New Texture Layer) and lowered it's opacity.
I the created a second New texture layer above the first, lowered the spacing and size of the brush, and added a few dark spots without lowering their opacity.

Here is the result.
Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 12.01.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-06-21 at 11.56.15 PM.png

Last edited:

rambomhtri

Yeah, when I said "transparent layer with only black dots" I meant what you said, all those grey, dark grey and black dots.

I was trying the method of "making starts in the sky". But as I don't know how to interchange the black and orange, and I'm also getting a darker orange, I'm gonna do what you are recommending.

rambomhtri

Yeah, first I tried the #48 method of making a starry sky. But I only could get a black BG with orange dots. As I don't know how to make the BG orange and the orange dots black, I'm gonna do it using you're method.

rambomhtri

OK, now I understand.

Yeah, you were right, that brush definitely did it!
And also you were right about the black dots, they are not black at all. :thumbsup:

What do you think about the final work?
Beethoven Symphony No. 3.jpeg

Here's a stronger color so you can compare it to an equal photo:
Beethoven Symphony No. 9.jpg

Oh, wow, the preview right there of my orange BG is way too different from what it really looks like. If you click on it, see the pop-up window containing the picture, you'll see the actual work. BTW, why that preview has a really stronger black dots?

EDIT: OK, problem here, if I open the picture with Photoshop or Windows Photo Viewer, the background looks as it should. If I open it with Paint, the background has stronger dots that make the background really ugly, just like the preview right up there. Something's wrong.
:cry:

What is it now? Will I ever finish this work completely, lol?

Last edited:

rambomhtri

I don't "need to" actually, but that should not be happening. So something must be wrong with the photo.

May be something about what we were talking about? The # symbol? Wrong palette colors? Wrong tag/info about colors?

I've opened many pictures of mine, including other symphonies, and that does not happen.

MrToM

Guru
...May be something about what we were talking about? The # symbol? Wrong palette colors? Wrong tag/info about colors?...
Good to see my time explaining all that wasn't wasted then!

When I open your image now it has the Adobe RGB (1998) colour PROFILE assigned to it.
Most image software, modern browsers and possibly your monitor all use the sRGB colour PROFILE.

Therefore one of two things has happened:
You have consciously turned off the 'Convert to sRGB' option in the 'Save For Web' window.
You are not using 'Save For Web'....as suggested waaaay back in post #28.

Either way, an image with an embedded colour PROFILE of Adobe RGB (1998) WILL look different in applications that expect an sRGB colour PROFILE.

Use 'Save For Web' with 'Convert to sRGB' checked and you'll see the difference....suggested in post #28.

Regards.
MrToM.

rambomhtri

OK, this is what I always do:
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

By doing that, am I able to export it right?

Last edited: