What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about replacing colors and stuff

rambomhtri

Hi,

I was trying to create an album art using an already existing album art that is almost identical. This is the high quality album art:
6.jpg

And the album art I want to create is this one:
3.jpg
That orange right there is this one: # f96000

What I do is use the "Replace color..." tool in the Image menu, select the background color of the first picture, and replace it pasting the orange color code. This is the result:
3_2.png

As you can see, I have 3 problems:

1. I don't know how to put a number "3" with that font.
2. I have a problem with the orange, PS says I'm out of gamut for printing, which I don't really understand. I've read that that warning tells you that what you see in the screen is not what you may see once you print it. But I don't care about that, I'm not printing it. How can I skip this error and use the orange I want?
3. Around the letters and edges, you can still see the background color of the original picture. I've selected the maximum fuzziness, but still, that white-grey color does not disappear.

Thank you!

hawkeye

Guru
Select the green and delete it. Add a layer below and fill it with the new color.

Tom Mann

Guru
Just a cautionary note: The copyright to both the content and the album art for the source album is owned by Teldec Classics International, GMBH Hamburg, Germany which is part of the Warner Music Group. See the bottom section of the attached image.

copyright_owned_by_Teldec_classics_international_GMBH_Hamburg_Germany-Warner_Music_Group.jpg

If you are making the modified version just for your own private use, you'll be fine.

However, if you or your clients are making the requested modification for any commercial use, eg, selling knock-off / bootleg copies, there is a good chance the legal copyright holder will eventually find out about this. They are a large, multi-national organization and have the resources to make a huge amount of trouble for you. Personally, I don't get involved in anything where there is a doubt about copyright ownership and use.

Tom M

rambomhtri

Select the green and delete it. Add a layer below and fill it with the new color.

Damn, I forgot to say that. I already did that, but it doesn't work cause the orange color of the layer would be solid (mono color). I need the "texture" of the high quality cover, that's why "Replace color..." is the perfect tool.

Last edited:

rambomhtri

Just a cautionary note: The copyright to both the content and the album art for the source album is owned by Teldec Classics International, GMBH Hamburg, Germany which is part of the Warner Music Group. See the bottom section of the attached image.

View attachment 56450

If you are making the modified version just for your own private use, you'll be fine.

However, if you or your clients are making the requested modification for any commercial use, eg, selling knock-off / bootleg copies, there is a good chance the legal copyright holder will eventually find out about this. They are a large, multi-national organization and have the resources to make a huge amount of trouble for you. Personally, I don't get involved in anything where there is a doubt about copyright ownership and use.

Tom M

Wow, thank you for your time, I'm glad you participated.

First, this is for personal use, of course.

I'm ripping my CD's to high quality audio files, and I'm also embedding in them the highest quality cover arts I find. I've found a web site that has the 9 symphonies covers in 800x800, but the 3rd one. That's why I want to photoshop the 6th one to create a 800x800 of the 3rd one.

The problem is that I bought an edition set where there are only black cover arts with the name of the tracks in them. And they are "ugly", or at least uglier than these ones. That why I'm not scanning my own CD's cover arts.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Like this # 3 ?

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 4.42.07 PM copy.png

Yes I entered the orange color you posted and then changed it to the nearest gamut color.
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 4.45.22 PM copy.png

rambomhtri

1. Yeah, that 3 is perfect. How can I add that 3 to the image?

2. I did exactly that, once I paste the "f96000" n, I get a warning, I click in the orange square, but the closest gamut orange I get is the one in the picture of the first message, which is way so different from yours.

Anyway, what if I don't want Photoshop to choose for me the orange is suitable for printing, and I want it to use the exact orange I want, like in this case?

3. How have you solved the question number 3 in the main post (first message)?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1. Yeah, that 3 is perfect. How can I add that 3 to the image?
Just use the Type Tool and add it right in.

2. I did exactly that, once I paste the "f96000" n, I get a warning, I click in the orange square, but the closest gamut orange I get is the one in the picture of the first message, which is way so different from yours.
Did you use the Color picker like I did?

Anyway, what if I don't want Photoshop to choose for me the orange is suitable for printing, and I want it to use the exact orange I want, like in this case?
You can use any color orange you desire. The question is whether or not the printing process will be able to reproduce your color of choice. That's why there's the option to match suitable gamut.

3. How have you solved the question number 3 in the main post (first message)?
Now that's a loaded question! LOL!!

I simply replaced all the text with new.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I removed the original BG and filled in the text in the Jacket. I'll call this the main layer.
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 5.14.14 PM.png

I then added the new orange BG color on a layer below the main layer.
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 5.14.49 PM.png

I then added a new layer between the orange BG layer and the main layer and I filled it with black.
I converted this layer into a smart object.
I added a noise filter.
I reduced this layers opacity to 8%.
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 5.15.11 PM.png

On new layers above the main layer, I added in the text (each on it's own layer).
I sized the fonts and used free transform to match the original size, cant, and position.
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 5.15.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 5.18.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 5.18.31 PM.png

Once I had the font located on his jacket, I made a selection of the font, turned off the font layers.....
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 5.18.50 PM.png

.......and added a layer mask to the main layer.
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 5.19.05 PM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you have any questions on anything I left out, let me know.

Let me also add that there is no selection process that will work well for this image........period. That's why it was much easier to remake everything.

Last edited:

rambomhtri

Wow, let me digest all that info, this is way too professional for me right now, :eek:. Smart objects, 4 layers, adding noise... I'm newbie here.

Thank you so much for all your time, I'm gonna work on the image and see if I can make it.

Let me also add that there is no selection process that will work well for this image........period. That's why it was much easier to remake everything.
Wow, that turned me down. Well, this is what I was doing before I posted this thread:

1. Open Photoshop CS6 and add the image.
2. Go to Image/Adjustments/Replace color...
3. Select with the pen the purest white-grey BG color
4. Set Fuzziness to 86
5. In Result, paste the orange color code
Wrong orange.png

I don't understand why Photoshop can't just use the orange I'm ordering it to use.

I'm gonna use your method, but I wanna know why that orange is so different to the one I'm pasting.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
rambomhtri said:
I don't understand why Photoshop can't just use the orange I'm ordering it to use.
Because replace color is not accurate. Bump up your Hue and saturation. I's never going to be exact this way and you will have the white areas around the letters.

I'm sorry for my explanation, I did not realize you were a super noob. What I describe is super easy. I'll walk you through it when your tired of messing with replace color.

rambomhtri

No, you were just perfectly clear. Yeah, I am super noob at Photoshop. Indeed, I have to use most of the time Windows 8's Paint cause at least it's more user friendly due to its lack of features (if it has any). LOL.

Well, I thought "Replace color..." would be a quite more powerful tool. But it's so limited. I don't know why Photoshop can't just use the same color I say, it's really weird. Indeed, for me it's really really weird. If it can change to that soft orange, I don't see why it can't make it stronger and stronger.

I will post the result of my work using your guide lines.

Stay tuned

:)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As I said, I will break down each step that I describe above because I left out some useful stuff that I thought you would know. So if needed I will help you out.

rambomhtri

Wow, all the info you can give me is useful. You're very kind.
:thumbsup:

I know how layers work more or less, how to add color to a layer... but the smart object thing and the letters and all of that... I may find it a little difficult to do.

Thanks again!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, don't worry about or use the smart object, just use the noise filter.

You will have to tell me what you need help on.

Would you rather I made a video?

MrToM

Guru
rambomhtri

On a side note I tried your exact workflow as in post #14, in CS6 and didn't get any Gamut warning.

If you can upload a screen shot of the Full UI at the point of the error, (making sure not to obscure anything important with any open windows), I'll see if I can solve that riddle while Sam helps out with the clever bits.

Regards.
MrToM.