What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create transparent shapes with outline/border in CS3

Aesthete18

Hi, I'm having difficulty following a tutorial and could use some help. The image I'm trying to replicate is: type "how to design an epic hipster badge in photoshop" on youtube and you can see it on the thumbnail, no need to watch the video. The guy is using probably a more current version of photoshop while I'm using CS3. I can't seem to replicate it. Here's my image:

Warehouse Photoshopguru.png

I tried using strokes in blending options while lowering the fill of the layer image but I have to cut out the edges that overlap the words (as you can see in the youtube thumbnail). By cutting out the stroke it separates the image and fills up the empty space. Is there any way around this? or another method to do it?

Aesthete18

ok , using strokes in blending options while lowering the fill of the layer image is first step

then put this layer in a group

make the selection and Choose Layer > Layer Mask > Hide Selection.

(tutorial link = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey3VmvxDtXE )

I'm having trouble following. The tutorial link is the link I posted. I put the house shape layer in a group, then make the selection (Ctrl+A?) > choose layer > layer mask > hide selection then the house goes missing. I'm not sure.

Aesthete18

Just one last thing. The diagonal roof line, the white is very jagged. Is there a fix for it?
Warehouse Photoshopguru.png

Last edited:

Aesthete18

I do'nt see that it's very jagged, do you view at 100 % ?
sometimes start with a bigger photo ,and then afterwards resize smaller helps

I'm looking at it at 67% looks very jagged but the saved image doesn't. That's weird. Sorry I should have checked before posting. It's good now. Thank you again for the assistance.