What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I achieve this text effect?

sobieh

Hi, Gurus!

Sorry for the newbie question but I'm really stuck. How can I achieve the effect in the following image (with the dots/balls within the text)? Surely it's an effect and not a font, right?

PRYDA-Logo-e1330095300720.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MrToM

Guru
Try this:

1. On a new layer create a whole bunch of Black circles.....I used shapes for convenience.
2. Create your text, in White...this will create its own layer.
3. Move the 'text' layer under the 'circle' layer.
4. EITHER:

A. Hold Ctrl + Alt and CLICK EXACTLY BETWEEN THE TWO LAYERS in the layers panel.
B. RIGHT click the 'circle' layer and select 'Create Clipping Mask' from the options.

clipping_mask_MT_01.jpg

If your circle colour and text colour are the same it will appear that nothing happens so use different colours....you can always change them later.

Regards.
MrToM.

sobieh

Wow, that really worked! Thank you very much!! One last question: on this image it appears as if the text is made out of the dots alone and the font is transparent?

Any idea how that works?

Pryda-Allein-Artwork2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MrToM

Guru
Totally different approach for that, your original posted image was on a white background.

No need for clipping masks then, just make a marquee selection of the text and use it to create a layer mask for the 'circle' layer.

clipping_mask_MT_02.jpg

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
No worries...

No need for apologies, I was just making it clear that the two options are different depending on the circumstances and the final result required.

I may have rushed it slightly so sorry for that....you got it working though yes?

Regards.
MrToM.