What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help editing this text

dessert

Hello everyone, simple question, hard to accomplish (for me :) at least) ..

I'd like to change names on the post box.. can you give me some tips, step by step tips will be much appreciated..

Thanks in advancepost.PNG

Rich54

Guru
post2.png

First step is to paint over the Carl & Ellie text, which I mostly did with the Clone Stamp. Sample very often and do small areas at a time because the background of the mailbox has a gradient and a lot of grungy texture.

After I was done with the Clone Stamp,my background was too blotchy, so I applied a few gradients to smooth-out the transitions from light to dark. Then I used the clone stamp a bit more to bring the blotchy texture back in.

Once you've got the mailbox prepared, then select an appropriate font and apply your new text on a new layer. The font I used here is called Forte. It's not a very good match to the original font, but it was the best I had without downloading a custom font or trying to draw it myself freehand. Select the font colors from the original Carl & Ellie text (or, of course, change them if you want).

The Carl & Ellie text has a grungy, streaky quality. I simulated that very quickly using a layer mask and a brush set to low opacity, and I masked-out areas of text to let the mailbox background partially show through. This could be done better if I took my time.

Lastly, I rasterized the text layer and applied a very slight perspective adjustment (Edit>Transform>Perspective) to make the left side of the text smaller to match the perspective of the mailbox.

dessert

Looks awesome, I'll give it a try.. Thanks..
For me the hardest part is giving the new text the natural imperfect look (just in real life)..

Rich54

Guru
Brushed Font.jpg

To get the text effect, one option is to download a custom font. There's a website called DaFont.com (along with others) that has hundreds of free fonts. One of their theme categories is Script>Brush Fonts, in which I found the font sampled above called BRUSHED. It's pretty close to what you're looking for.

If you want to distress your text by hand, others here may have better ideas, but I think the way to go would be a layer mask on the font layer. With a mask, you always have the ability to restore the original text if you take things too far. Use a low opacity brush with (probably) medium hardness and basically 'draw" the brush streaks yourself by hand. Depends on your artistic ability and level of patience.