What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1rst composited image

MrToM

Guru
The reason your image is disappearing when moving is pretty simple....you'll kick yourself!

Check out your layers panel......see that great big huge gap between the two thumbnails?

This being empty means that the 'MASK' is not 'LINKED' to the pixels on that layer.....meaning when you move the pixels on that layer the 'MASK' stays still......masking or 'hiding' the pixels underneath.

The simple fix is to just click BETWEEN those two thumbnails and the 'LINK' will return.

You'll have to make sure that the 'MASK' aligns PERFECTLY with the pixels but you should be able to go back through the history to the point before you started moving stuff......it goes without say but you'll need to do that BEFORE linking the mask again.

Regards.
MrToM.

pomacanthus

Thanks Mr Tom that was so simple Im laughing and pleasantly surprised, easiest PS fix to date!

IamSam just finished the video, Iam truly shocked, and grateful for your generosity. It was and will be imensely helpful because its an exact solution, I found it much more helpful than the first one. I did figure out a masking technique using the second one as you can see but it was PAINFULLY slow, and tedious, however: the light of understanding is finally becoming luminous thanks to you guys here, Thank You I can't even express in words how helpful that was. Im thinking my days at Lyndadotcom are going to be much shorter than I originally anticipated, its a good tool but certainly not for "real world problems"

Jealous of the tablet, Im waiting to achieve a higher level of confidence before I make that purchase, I just didn't think I would enjoy creating digital images to this degree. I spent pretty much the entire day on my Mac. The painting is really cool as well because it much harder to control opacity/fill with actual paint in my opinion.

I spent a few hours creating my new filmstrip by hand painting the small type notice I figured out how to add text in the form of a watermark/logo along the top. I love this filmstrip because I grew up with film and I think it adds a nice surreal aspect. I couldn't figure out how to mask the letters so I gave up and handprinted it all with a pencil lol but I learned something even if it took forever.

Film strip 3B .jpg

pomacanthus

OK after I painted the filmstrip with orange type as shown above I decided I liked it much better than the original so I tried using it. One the very first image I posted I sort of cheating by playing around with the opacity (lowering) sort of split the difference iow the filmstrip got lighter and so did the other images but somehow they ended up blending into acceptable. This time armed with new knowledge I tried to create a mask for the filmstrip the same way as posted in the video by IamSam (fail see photograph). I searched my Gmail for the answer from my old friend Mike and here is how he said he created a filmstrip mask off the same image months ago - when he sent it to me it was neatly bundled up with no layers visible he is using the most recent version of PS and said my version (CS5) was probably so old it wouldn't be compatible and thats why I couldn't see the layers, he also said it took him less than 5 minutes to create

<snip> Like I said there really isn't a mask outside of the filmstrip boundary mask which I made by option clicking on the filmstrip layer.

The white area was created on a new transparent layer below the filmstrip. I just sprayed white where the type was.

I'll see if there's a way to get you something <snip>

Im really not sure how he did this, makes it sound so simple and it probably is....
From my newbie perspective the problem with using the quick selection tool is that
it "gets confused" by the gradiations? not a very definitive break between black & white

So what Im trying to accomplish is keeping my color saturation (not reducing opacity)
By allowing Birdman and Butterfly to print in full color by creating a mask roughly the inside of filmstrip
If I could achieve this transparent mask wouldn't it stand to reason I create lots of surreal images fairly easily by saving that masked image as its own image?
Not sure my nomenclature is up to snuff here but I hope you know what I mean....

Snip20150706_19.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Try setting your filmstrip layers blending mode to multiply.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If that doesn't work........watch this VIDEO starting at 4:19.

This will explain how to use the blend if option to remove the white.

pomacanthus

Ok Thanks :) that was at least 10,000% easier than the first attempt, not sure exactly what blending is/does but it worked, will investigate further

pomacanthus

OK its a white background tool got it, best part is I have a collection of nice stock photos this will work exceedingly well on so Thanks again!
You guys are pretty darn awesome and very helpful, really appreciate the time you've give my thread !

pomacanthus

One minor problem for some reason it decided to put marching ants around the orange "FILM 3B ART" you see in the upper right corner and now I can figure out how to delete/remove just that portion of the mask....

Lastly assuming Im completely 100% happy with my marching ants Ummm... this is really newbie how do I save the selection as a new layer..? Sheesh I warned you guys TIA

Snip20150707_23.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What tool are you using? Are you trying to select the white or the black?

If you use the "blend if" slider to remove the white, it will render the white transparent and you will be able to see any layer beneath it.

pomacanthus

Quick select tool, i kind of selected around the outside blackest edge, Im trying to get the white to go transparent and i thought i would have to do this by making a mask. My understanding was didn't matter if I selected black or white because I could invert it later in the process? I think Im missing something...like experience lol

pomacanthus

Confused, I tried moving the slider every direction and can't seem to make the white go transparent
No matter I try the flimstrip white area stay opaque and covers all the layers below, Im giving up for tonight too tired.

Snip20150707_27.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Make sure you highlight/select the filmstrip layer.

Double click the layer to open the layer style.

Move the slider shown by the arrow to the left by clicking and dragging.

You can split the slider for finer adjustments by holding down the alt/opt key, then click the slider and drag left.

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 11.22.57 PM copy.png

This will work unless you have a white layer below the filmstrip layer.

If it still does not work, please post the PSD file using the 'insert image' icon in the reply window.

MrToM

Guru
To compliment, (hopefully), Sams excellent instructions...(I was just uploading it when he posted....but no surprise there eh Sam? :rofl: )

Regards.
MrToM.

pomacanthus

Thanks guys. After watching the video i realized how important it could be to have a colored layer (orange) to be able to see visually what was happening with the slider. I think initially a big problem for me was that the white background was confusing. SO I airbrushed a green layer to match MrToms orange dragged it into position and anticipation mounting I moved the magic slider and nothing happened....buzzkill. After rewetting the video a 3rd time lol I made sure all my blending options were matching (they were) and still nothing. Heres another screenshot of where I left off.

I really need to learn this technique like I stated earlier a lot of stock photos have white backgrounds so I can see how useful it would be and appreciate you guys hanging in there.

Actually upon further review the little preview box in blending mode goes from grey to trans when I move the slider, but the green painted layer is still hiding somewhere, probably at the Tiki bar having another margarita lol

lSnip20150708_29.png

MrToM

Guru
You're blending the wrong layer.

Going by that screen shot you have a duplicate layer UNDER the one you are applying the blending to.

If you TURN OFF the TOP layer and apply the blending to the one DIRECTLY ABOVE the 'coloured' layer, your Layer 1, it should work.

Note in the 'Blending Options' Dialog it says UNDERLYING LAYER.....that means the one DIRECTLY BELOW it....not with a duplicate sandwiched in between.

Try that and see if it works.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
pomacanthus said:
Thanks guys. After watching the video i realized how important it could be to have a colored layer (orange) to be able to see visually what was happening with the slider.

While it can be helpful it's not at all necessary. I usually judge the amount of slider to apply based on how the layer is interacting with the layer below.........as long as it's not white. Try this, when you attempt this technique, turn off all other layers except the filmstrip layer.

pomacanthus said:
SO I airbrushed a green layer to match MrToms orange dragged it into position

I've seen you mention 'aibrushing' before. There are several ways to add color to a layer, here are a few....

Highlight/select the layer.
Hit SHIFT + DELETE.
Make your selections

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 10.14.27 AM.png

Highight/select the layer
ALT/OPTION + DELETE will add your foreground color.
CMD/CNTRL + Delete will add your background color.

Use your Paint Bucket Tool.
If you hit the X key on your keyboard, you can toggle between your foreground and background colors.

pomacanthus

IamSam that only works when you DO NOT 2 identical layers piled on top of each other lol
Thanks again to everyone in this thread, Im finally having a blast again and that light of understanding is finally glowing brighter
For my very first composited image Im awfully happy with this, haven't decided if its final, was considering adding an
"Occupy Monsanto" logo ghosted in background because Ive titled this "Monsanto Man"
I love this forum, you guys are great and I don't think anyone even got PO'd when I asked insane newbie questions
Im going heavy tutorial for awhile, so much to learn.
Snip20150708_30.png