What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make canvas effect

Aviorrok

Hi

How can I do canvas effect like this icons (the icon size is 180x180 pixels)
image.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks!

Tom Mann

Guru
What canvas effect? The very fine structure in the yellow rectangle, the very fine structure in the gray areas, or something else?

When I think of a canvas effect, I think of something much more obvious, ie, like:
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/light-canvas-texture-seamless-vector-illustration-29889854.jpg

because people in bright light, or using a phone, or using a monitor that isn't top-notch are likely to see these areas as simply solid yellow or solid gray.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks more like paper than canvas.

I just used a layer style with a 'stucco' pattern overlay and a gradient overlay.

Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 6.56.17 PM.png

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Don't forget, guys, that if the OP creates the image at significantly higher resolution, saves it as a conventional JPG, GIF, BMT, or other similar image file, and then scales it down to 180x180px, some of the structure will be reduced because of averaging effects. To get a meaningful view of how the structure will appear at the final resolution of 180x180, he should create and tweak the image at that resolution.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok,

Here is the layer style using "canvas" pattern overlay at 180 x 180
MultiColoredRoundIcons_02.jpg

Here is the texturizer filter using canvas at 180 x 180
MultiColoredRoundIcons_02.1.jpg