What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn this image from day to night

JeremyC

Hello everyone. I am trying to turn a image from day to night. I have googled and followed few tutorials... but I still couldn't get the night effect I wanted.
JbJl1TY.jpg
Above is the picture I tried to edit. I tried to use hue & saturation, camera raw filter and curves... the house seemed ok, but the sky looked weird(didn't look nature).
Any helps are appreciated. A step by step guide is preferred :3 Thanks in advanced.

(Please be noted that I may not be able to reply in few days ~ vacation)

Tom Mann

Guru
I presume the photo you posted is your "before" shot -- correct?

Why don't you also post your "after" shot so we can offer suggestions on how to improve what you have already done.

Cheers,

Tom M

Rich54

Guru
Day-Night.png

I've never done one of these so I gave it a try. The main problem is that the sky is blown-out and is mostly pure white, so it's difficult to do anything with the sky using curves, etc. I painted a new sky using a gradient from pure black to a very deep blue, and then used Blend-If on that layer to allow the branches and mountaintop to show through.

Once I had a decent night sky, I applied a dark blue color fill layer on the entire image, blend mode set to Color. Then I used several curves and levels adjustments with various blend modes such as multiply, overlay and screen, to put certain areas in deep shadow and make other areas highlighted as if they are glinting in moonlight.

Lastly, I copied the entire image to a new layer and applied the Neon Glow filter, which gives a very spooky effect. I set the blend mode of this layer to soft light and reduced the opacity to 50%.

Hybrus

Maybe you could adjust separately the sky and the house. . . I've seen a tutorial of making this 5 years ago :D

Tom Mann

Guru
Maybe you could adjust separately the sky and the house. . . I've seen a tutorial of making this 5 years ago :D
You must not have read Rich's post because it is clear that he is indeed separately adjusting / treating different areas.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used a similar technique to Chris' with some variations.

I used a color fill layer with a layer mask containing the gradient. I did this so I had the ability to come back and alter the gradients color at any time.
I also used a curves adjustment to pull the tone of the house down evenly. I used it's layer mask to lighten the upper area where I was already using the color fill for the sky.
I used a gradient layer for the bottom of the image to darken the leaves and ground clutter.

Test: Screenshot
Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 6.59.50 PM.png

Test: JPG
DayToNightScaryHouse_01.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 7.00.35 PM.png

I tried a window lighting, but I was not that happy with it. I will have to work on that some more.

Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 7.00.04 PM.png

DatToNightScaryHouse_02.jpg

Last edited:

JeremyC

View attachment 57211

I've never done one of these so I gave it a try. The main problem is that the sky is blown-out and is mostly pure white, so it's difficult to do anything with the sky using curves, etc. I painted a new sky using a gradient from pure black to a very deep blue, and then used Blend-If on that layer to allow the branches and mountaintop to show through.

Once I had a decent night sky, I applied a dark blue color fill layer on the entire image, blend mode set to Color. Then I used several curves and levels adjustments with various blend modes such as multiply, overlay and screen, to put certain areas in deep shadow and make other areas highlighted as if they are glinting in moonlight.

Lastly, I copied the entire image to a new layer and applied the Neon Glow filter, which gives a very spooky effect. I set the blend mode of this layer to soft light and reduced the opacity to 50%.
Thanks. This is nice but the roof looks shinny and there are some random white spots behind the tree :3

Last edited:

JeremyC

I used a similar technique to Chris' with some variations.

I used a color fill layer with a layer mask containing the gradient. I did this so I had the ability to come back and alter the gradients color at any time.
I also used a curves adjustment to pull the tone of the house down evenly. I used it's layer mask to lighten the upper area where I was already using the color fill for the sky.
I used a gradient layer for the bottom of the image to darken the leaves and ground clutter.

View attachment 57230

View attachment 57233

View attachment 57231

I tried a window lighting, but I was not that happy with it. I will have to work on that some more.

View attachment 57232

View attachment 57234
Thanks. If the sky could be darken more, that would be the effect I am looking for... is it possible to do so?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes very easy, I can also change the color very quickly since I used the color fill layer.

DayToNightScaryHouse_03.jpg

Test:pNG
DayToNightScaryHouse_03.png